I just read Paula Deans book

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i still find the lady annoying as hell but after reading her life story in her new book i must say i have a new found respect for her. she worked really really hard to be where she is today.

for noobs who dont know her, she is the fat southern woman cook on food network.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I hate her new commercials for smithfield. I saw a bit of her show on the food network, she doesn't skimp on the butter

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I don't like her because she (or her producers) use her southern-ness to sell her show. Pay attention, when she's cooking and talking she has a slight accent, but when she's paying attention (like in commercials) it's like "Hum dum yaw'll yer up that-thar yep". It's put-on.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I liked her "Chefography" much more than I enjoy her show.

She seems like a nice lady and her food looks awesome I just don't find her show that interesting.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
As a resident of Savannah, I can tell you that I find it hilarious to see people come from miles to eat her crappy food. I find her food to be on par with KFC, and I am not alone. Most other people who live in Savannah would agree.

I have been to her restaraunt once (As a local I don't have to wait in line for 4 hours to get in) I did not pay, so I consider myself unbiased as to the money / taste ratio. I have never been back, it would be very easy to go back, but I have no desire to eat the sold butter shaped in the form of "souther fried food"

She is on the food network because she has a great personality, not because her food tastes good. That is perfectally acceptable, you can't taste the food through the TV, you don't have to know how awful it is, only that it looks good and the host is good.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Butter, Potaters and Mayonnaise... The three essential ingredients to her cooking. Gotta love it.. no matter what it is...

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp
Butter, Potaters and Mayonnaise... The three essential ingredients to her cooking. Gotta love it.. no matter what it is...

I'm telling you it's awful.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't much about her or her cooking or restaurant, just that I find her annoying as hell on the Food Network (2nd only to Rachael Ray). Seriously, people in Savannah cannot possibly say "y'all" as much as she does.

I can say that my wife recently used her peach cobbler recipe to make blackberry cobbler (they grow wildly everywhere here, and ripen this time of year), and it was probably the best damned cobbler I've ever had.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
I don't much about her or her cooking or restaurant, just that I find her annoying as hell on the Food Network (2nd only to Rachael Ray). Seriously, people in Savannah cannot possibly say "y'all" as much as she does.

I can say that my wife recently used her peach cobbler recipe to make blackberry cobbler (they grow wildly everywhere here, and ripen this time of year), and it was probably the best damned cobbler I've ever had.

I rarely hear the term y'all used in this town. The city is one of the most poverty stricken cities in the country and has a crime rate as high as Atlanta. I want to leave this hell hole asap.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Quasmo
As a resident of Savannah, I can tell you that I find it hilarious to see people come from miles to eat her crappy food. I find her food to be on par with KFC, and I am not alone. Most other people who live in Savannah would agree.

I have been to her restaraunt once (As a local I don't have to wait in line for 4 hours to get in) I did not pay, so I consider myself unbiased as to the money / taste ratio. I have never been back, it would be very easy to go back, but I have no desire to eat the sold butter shaped in the form of "souther fried food"

She is on the food network because she has a great personality, not because her food tastes good. That is perfectally acceptable, you can't taste the food through the TV, you don't have to know how awful it is, only that it looks good and the host is good.

So this is coming from a connoisseur of fine cuisine??

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Even my girlfriend at the time hated it. Her dad imported exotic foods to the DC area for 25 years. She's dined at more 5 star restaraunts than I even want to know, she knew good food, and this was crap.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Even my girlfriend at the time hated it. Her dad imported exotic foods to the DC area for 25 years. She's dined at more 5 star restaraunts than I even want to know, she knew good food, and this was crap.

My wife, who loves her show and the stuff she makes, was unimpressed by Lady and Sons too.

Gotta love someone who fries her bacon in butter:roll:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

That really depends. Southern women have tended to pick it up more than men. If you're around a bunch of old men, that's all you'll hear. And all my female cousins talk with that distinctive southern draw, (I was told my mother had it too but that was from Tennessee). Southern Georgian's really do say ya'll alot :p

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune

That really depends. Southern women have tended to pick it up more than men. If you're around a bunch of old men, that's all you'll hear. And all my female cousins talk with that distinctive southern draw, (I was told my mother had it too but that was from Tennessee). Southern Georgian's really do say ya'll alot :p

This lady is from albany, I live in albany. I give this comment an A+ rating.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

her book has a few reciepies in it and last weekend my wife made the the squash casserole. i gotta admit it was pretty tasty, and our kids really liked it.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I cant stand her. She is by far the most irritating woman i have ever had the displeasure of seeing and hearing.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
As far as most annoying goes:

Rachael Ray >>>>> Paula

Paula lathers it on but I can at least tolerate her. I have a hard time enjoying Rachael's cooking because her overly annoying personality makes me lose my appetite.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
I hate her new commercials for smithfield. I saw a bit of her show on the food network, she doesn't skimp on the butter

her voice is so goddamn annoying. i hate those commercials too.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

HEY YAWWWWWWWL! I'm Paula Dean and this here is one of my new recipes

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
I am just floored her kids got a show because of her. WTF Food Network.

Amen. I just wish their show was on late at night in case my insomnia sets in. Instant zzzzz.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

HEY YAWWWWWWWL! I'm Paula Dean and this here is one of my new recipes

ACK! I can hear her voice violently stabbing my brain while reading that.