I just put down a saucer of Orang Juice for my cat...is that weird?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
My old cats and I had something in common, we both crapped our brains out when we drank milk.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
I gave my cat honeydew melon once... Woke up in the middle of the night to hear scratching on the floor. Turned out the cat got diarrhea and tracked it all over the house. I only give her cat food now and once in a while some meat scraps.

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I've got a combined collection of three cats, one's mine and two are the old ladies and their tastes are surprisingly different from one another. One of them will eat anything. ANYTHING. one time one of the other cats threw up and he walked over and ate it. One will eat the dry can food we give them but, does not like chicken or fish or pork but loves beef. The third one seems pretty normal, likes meet and cat food and the occasional potato.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We have 1 cat that will only eat out of her food bowl. She won't touch any other food or even cat treats unless they are in her bowl.
Then we have 2 cats that will eat just about anything. They steal the dog food from the dog sometimes.
We have to lock bread up in a cabinet or breadbox or in the pantry, otherwise the cats will eat through the plastic to get at the bread.
One of them even fights with the dog for table scraps.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
We have 1 cat that will only eat out of her food bowl. She won't touch any other food or even cat treats unless they are in her bowl.
Then we have 2 cats that will eat just about anything. They steal the dog food from the dog sometimes.
We have to lock bread up in a cabinet or breadbox or in the pantry, otherwise the cats will eat through the plastic to get at the bread.
One of them even fights with the dog for table scraps.

are you serious- bread ?! i never heard of cats liking bread.

you sure you don't own DUCKS, maybe?

my cat is way too picky. she only really likes cooked chicken. not baked, not grilled, not fried- must be cooked (boiled). but the good thing is she wont mind leftovers, so if we cook chicken one night we can keep feeding her chicken for several days.

of course though, we cant always have chicken available so we have some canned food but not after long protests at the kitchen table and whining and staring at us will she finally realize there is no chicken and she grudgingly eats the canned food.

anything else we let her try from our dinners she is not interested in

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: Eli
I'm not sure if thats going to be good for them or not, but.. yeah, thats weird. lol

I think all cats are lactose intolerant btw. Don't feed them dairy products. :)

Um... cats... milk... :confused:

yeah, and mice really love cheese.

Cats are lactose intolerant

as are most mature mamals, lactose tolerance is a recessive and theoretically un-healthy trait. Humans are pretty rapidly developing alergies to wheat products and sugar as well. My mother learned all this after a battle with cancer a couple of years ago, now she's in the best shape of her life, gluten, dairy and sugar free as best she can. She's at about the same weight as she was in high-school but, more muscular than then.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DerwenArtos12
as are most mature mamals, lactose tolerance is a recessive and theoretically un-healthy trait. Humans are pretty rapidly developing alergies to wheat products and sugar as well. My mother learned all this after a battle with cancer a couple of years ago, now she's in the best shape of her life, gluten, dairy and sugar free as best she can. She's at about the same weight as she was in high-school but, more muscular than then.
What's left to eat then? Tree bark and meat?

"Rapidly" developing allergies to wheat and sugar might be a little inaccurate. I don't know anyone with a wheat or sugar allergy, and as far as I know, in general it's a minority which has some problem with these foodstuffs. Maybe it's also due to centuries of selective breeding which have significantly altered the composition of the foods, in favor of increasing seasonal yields, or else from traces of various chemicals used in their production.

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: DerwenArtos12
What's left to eat then? Tree bark and meat?

"Rapidly" developing allergies to wheat and sugar might be a little inaccurate. I don't know anyone with a wheat or sugar allergy, and as far as I know, in general it's a minority which has some problem with these foodstuffs. Maybe it's also due to centuries of selective breeding which have significantly altered the composition of the foods, in favor of increasing seasonal yields, or else from traces of various chemicals used in their production.

There are a surprising number of people who don't know they're allergic to gluten. I'm actually alergic to gluten, just can't afford to eat gluten free everything, it's out there, specifically at health food stores(shocker there) And given that the Clinic she goes to quite regularly is linked with other clinics across the country and in the last two years their number of patients have gone up 600% I'd say it's pretty rapid, just not widespread yet. It's like high-fructose corn syrup. The body does not know how to recognize high fructose corn syrup as sugar and therefore does not produce insulin to break down the fructose so blood sugar levels go up, a.k.a. diabetes. My great grandfather was diabetic, my grandfather was diabetic, my father is diabetic and I'm diabetic so, I'm not going to try and blame it on HFC but, I know that when my dad and I started importing mexican coca-cola thats made with natural sugar instead of HFC both of us without changing anything else in our already choked diets or exercise plans and given our consumption rate of about a bottle a day, maybe two, saw our blood sugar levels drop 10 points in the mornings and 7 points at night average over a month between the two of us. That says something.