I just put down a saucer of Orang Juice for my cat...is that weird?

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
We have two indoor cats. My wife, being new to the idea of cats living inside the house, thought it was funny that they would smell anything she held for them. It started with us holding out anything they were curious about for them to smell, and somehow evolved into me putting the glass down for one of the cats to drink any time I got a glass of milk (the other gets violently ill any time he drinks milk).

About six months ago, we started an orange juice kick. Jack would meow at me any time I filled a glass, thinking it was milk. The first two times I set the orange juice glass on the ground so he could smell it, thinking he'd have no interest in it. The third time he tasted it, though, and he seems to be hooked.

He doesn't care about milk anymore. When I fill a glass and show it to him now, he just looks at me. He goes nuts for orange juice, though. He comes running any time the fidge is opened, and starts meowing like mad whenever he sees the carton come out. I just poured a glass, and he was at my feet, pawing and meowing the whole time. I put a little into a saucer, and he's still sitting in the kitchen purring and lapping it up.

What strange things do your cats do?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not sure if thats going to be good for them or not, but.. yeah, thats weird. lol

I think all cats are lactose intolerant btw. Don't feed them dairy products. :)

If you're going to continue to experiment in such ways with your cat, I would be sure and look up all the things that are toxic to them, like chocolate for example.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Eli
I'm not sure if thats going to be good for them or not, but.. yeah, thats weird. lol

Um... cats... milk... :confused:

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Actually the vitamin c in it ought to be really good for their coat and teeth/gums/breath!

My kitty's have an unnatural obscession with chips espically classic lays potato chips

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: lizardth
Actually the vitamin c in it ought to be really good for their coat and teeth/gums/breath!

My kitty's have an unnatural obscession with chips espically classic lays potato chips

Yeah I crack a cold one with my roomie's cat nightly now. For a while there he was only into Mike's Hard Lemonade but now its Miller High Life or bust.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac

Um... cats... milk... :confused:
Eli is correct, only kittens are able to process their mothers milk.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

If you're going to continue to experiment in such ways with your cat, I would be sure and look up all the things that are toxic to them, like chocolate for example.

Uhm....

All my cats always drank evaporated milk like crazy.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Seriously though, first off, it's weird that your cat would get anywhere near the OJ. Cats generally hate citrus. Personally, I would be concerned what all the acid and sugar would do to the cat. I doubt anyone can tell you as it's so damn weird for a cat to drink OJ, probably no one has ever tested its effects on felines.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I dont think you have anything to worry about. Let the cat enjoy the juice. Moderation is the key. Its not like you are expecting the cat to get all of their nutrition and calories from oj.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My cat loves her some french fried potatoes. She gets them very infrequently, though, more like a treat.

I don't think that the OJ is going to be a huge problem as long as you don't give it the juice every day.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
mine love doreitos, as well as beef jerkey, they both also eat pasta but only with sauce, neither like fish but i swear they woudl eat a whole honey ham by themselfs

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OdiN

Uhm....

All my cats always drank evaporated milk like crazy.
Just like in people, there are going to be varying degrees of tolerance.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
cats are full carnivores...they cannot digest most people food/drinks.

Just because an animal wants something (think of it the same way as kids) doesn't mean its good for them. Cats will drink antifreeze too with fatal results from just a teaspoon.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Raduque
My cat loves her some french fried potatoes. She gets them very infrequently, though, more like a treat.

I don't think that the OJ is going to be a huge problem as long as you don't give it the juice every day.

DA JUICE LOL1!!eleven!!one1