I just plopped a Black Edition 2.8Ghz X2 in my rig....

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My dad got him self a new Tri-core and gave me this one 7850 BE. It has the 4 cores but with 2 disabled. Is there a way to find out if the other 2 cores are viable and turn them on? Is it worth it? My mobo is the trusty Asus M2A-VM I just updated the BIOS which gave me more overclocking features. It now has multipier settings but no matter what I set that to, it stays at 14x so I don't know what the deal is there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: KDOG
My dad got him self a new Tri-core and gave me this one 7850 BE. It has the 4 cores but with 2 disabled. Is there a way to find out if the other 2 cores are viable and turn them on? Is it worth it? My mobo is the trusty Asus M2A-VM I just updated the BIOS which gave me more overclocking features. It now has multipier settings but no matter what I set that to, it stays at 14x so I don't know what the deal is there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think your mobo is 690G chipset, and you need to have ACC to unlock cores.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I see that its the 780G and above chipsets. I'm looking at new mobos' right now....

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah I'm leaning that way with DFI 790GX board.... just want to ask around a little first...

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I have never seen a 7x50 (or a PhI for that matter) unlock to four cores without verifiable proof. I've only seen PhIIs unlock. I wouldn't bank on a PhI unlocking; mine didn't.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Well we never had non-phenom quad cores, so they obviously couldn't unlock, I'm not sure about these.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well I took the plunge and now have that DFI 790GX mATX mobo on the way from newegg, so we'll see if ACC can do anything with it when it gets here.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: KDOG
Yeah I'm leaning that way with DFI 790GX board.... just want to ask around a little first...

Umm, do you know for sure that this particular CPU will unlock? If so, cool. If not certain, why go through the expense of a new mobo, when you could just as easily by a quad core for your current one? Or did I skim too much and miss something. :)

EDIT: Oops. too late, you bought it already. Didn't see the latest postage.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if it does - fantastic. If not, I've got a nice shiny new mobo. Hey, it was an excuse to help the economy!

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I got some magic beans for sale too btw, if they work you will get to visit jesus and become good friends before you die, if not your just out some hard earned cash. Whaddya say, Jack?

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
I've seen a number of claims that the 7850 can unlock into a quad but it only works on certain manufacturers motherboards, also the upcoming Athlon X3 has been reported to unlock into a quad already.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Originally posted by: chubbyfatazn
Originally posted by: richierich1212
Originally posted by: chubbyfatazn
I have never seen a 7x50 (or a PhI for that matter) unlock to four cores without verifiable proof. I've only seen PhIIs unlock. I wouldn't bank on a PhI unlocking; mine didn't.

Dingleberrydorkbutt's funny thread

Wasn't his an engineering sample though if I remember correctly?

If not then I stand corrected.

He could've gotten an engineering sample luckily, but then again when processors are overclocked or whatever cpu-z sometimes renames the processor to something else instead.