I just ordered a 5870...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
auto tune is next to worthless. it had my 4890 stable at 50 mhz beyond where I would artifact in furmark, vantage, crysis and borderlands.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Yeah I hate autotune I have no ides what it does but its long slow and the results are iffy to say the least. You are better off just using afterburner with the built in kombustor(furmark) and slowly upping and testing your settings.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Every person seems to have a different account. My 5870 has been rock solid from Day 1. Not one BSOD or any crash at all. In games its been perfect. Even when I put on a 3rd party cooler on it, its still rock solid...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I've assembled 2 computers for people with 5870 and 5850 no problems yet. Reward them, AMD did a good job this round and deserve it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think AMD is changing their strategy now since 28 nor 32nm processes are going to be viable this year at all from either Foundry Company or TSMC. The intention is to use Southern Islands to compete with GTX480 and its possible refresh. I highly doubt there will be any refresh of 5870 series at this point. Looks like a "hybrid" northern islands and evergreen card (or 3 of them rather) are going to come out in 2010 and 2011 is when 28nm new gen will arrive:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/..._Different_Suppliers_Hybrid_Architecture.html

Yea, AMD probably knows that Nvidia's dual GPU part (if it ever comes) may end up faster than the 5970, but based on the power/heat/noise 'issues' that the GTX480 has AMD probably isn't too concerned... imagine two of those GPU's and twice the DDR5. Even if a GTX480x2 type of card comes into existance AMD knows their 5xxx cards will still sell like mad most likely. They have no incentive to rush out a tweaked/refreshed part, they are probably satisfied with how the current line up matches up. And being that it might be some time yet before 28nm is viable I doubt they want to have nothing new to offer between now and that time.

OP, I've had no problems with a GSOD what so ever. Infact I've had no problems at all in the 5 or so weeks I've owned this part. That's not to say that issues like the GSOD don't or didn't exist. But, I'm willing to bet the problem is pretty well taken care of via driver updates by now. Enjoy your new card, I'm very happy with mine... the price was a bit steep in my opinion, but the hardware itself is very good.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have had my two 5870s in CrossFire for almost a week now. No GSODs. Both cards run stable at 950/1250 with 1.200V on the GPU.