I just learned all the Secretaries of Education

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
appointed by both Bushes were from Texas. And none of them did anything which has genuinely helped primary education improve in America.

On the other hand, I dont see how simply dumping any more money into education is guaranteed to bring back or create new hi-tech jobs in America.
I am having difficulty forming a decision on this one.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
The K-12 system in the U.S. is a joke for a variety of reasons, not the least being the quality of the students that they're forced to accept. A substantial portion of the money we spend on K-12 would be better spent on running more remedial courses in college.

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
Any half@ss decent teacher will tell you the truth, only parents can improve the education of their children! The problem is not money, it is the attitude and lack of respect and discipline these kids have now that is the real problem in K-12 education. That stuff comes from the home not the school!

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Any half@ss decent teacher will tell you the truth, only parents can improve the education of their children! The problem is not money, it is the attitude and lack of respect and discipline these kids have now that is the real problem in K-12 education. That stuff comes from the home not the school!

QFT!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Actually, it can be instilled by the school to an extent, but yes the parents have to reinforce it. My son's school, well, I wouldn't send him to another school if I had to. I've never seen a public school like this one, the principal is in the trenches everyday, she is as dedicated as any 1stSGT I knew in the Army. The kids aren't students, they are scholars, excelling is encouraged, and pushed. Oh, and they raise most of their extra funding money themselves, over $300,000 so far this year.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Actually, it can be instilled by the school to an extent, but yes the parents have to reinforce it. My son's school, well, I wouldn't send him to another school if I had to. I've never seen a public school like this one, the principal is in the trenches everyday, she is as dedicated as any 1stSGT I knew in the Army. The kids aren't students, they are scholars, excelling is encouraged, and pushed. Oh, and they raise most of their extra funding money themselves, over $300,000 so far this year.

This sounds much like the high school my kids go to here in Richmond.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Simply dumping more money into our schools is not enough in and of itself to fix them, but properly funding them is one of the requirements to fixing them. As important as having the funding to make sure our students have the books and equipment they need, is having expectations that challenge them. 'No kid left behind' and standardized testing has destroyed our education system. It has caused us to lower our standards again and again to meet some political goal instead of meeting an educational one.

What we need is to set a high standard and fail kids who don't meet it. We need to empower teachers to tell parents that their Little Jonny is failing because he is a lazy student that has not grasped the basics of math because you didn't make him do his homework, maybe next year he will work harder. While we are at it we need to have high standards for our teachers, and that means we need to pay them well in order to attract quality candidates, and remove ones that are not living up to standards.

While we are at it. We need to demand that our universities have high standards and not just rake in tuition from idiots who think that attending college is the same as getting an education.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
All you had to do was mention texas ... it's all good, it's what those morons want...

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I don't have kids yet but I'm seriously considering home schooling my kid(s) until college. I just don't trust the school system after having recently been through it and it's only going to get worse.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don't have kids yet but I'm seriously considering home schooling my kid(s) until college. I just don't trust the school system after having recently been through it and it's only going to get worse.

Thats fine but for the love of god make sure they socialize with other kids, a lot.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

And most of the troubled kids with bad attitudes, lack of respect and discipline come from minority single parent homes which government dad can take the lions of share blame for.

Who was the architect of government dad?

Why the same entity responsible for our liberal public education system that continues plummet in the global ranks;

http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/marketplacek12/2012/07/us_drops_in_global_innovation_rankings.html

In a category related to K-12 education, the U.S. is ranked 31st, owing to low rankings in education expenditures. Our pupil-to-teacher ratio in secondary education, at 13.8:1, is ranked 61st. In higher education, the U.S. ranks second in enrollment, but 74th in students graduating with science and engineering degrees. Elsewhere, the U.S. ranks No. 1 in the amount of students taking the GMATs, the entry exam for business school, but 53rd on GMAT mean score.

That right Democrats!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

If only parents can make a difference and not teachers, then we are paying teachers too much since they make no difference anyway. Teachers can't have it both ways, high pay and not accepting any responsibility for their results (or lack thereof). Nowhere else in the world can one get away with not producing up to standard and blaming others; try another profession other than teaching and telling your boss it was our customer's fault you didn't make sales quotas, or the fault of your analyst for missing a project deadline and see how far that gets you. And saying standardized testing is a poor metric wont fly, unless you can come up with another quantifiable means of measuring your performance.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
All you had to do was mention texas ... it's all good, it's what those morons want...

More ignorant progressive vomit. My son's school is in Texas, and I wouldn't be stretching it to say it is easily one of the best elementary schools in the country. Stupid leftist.