I just impulse bought a chainsaw

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well ordered, it's not in store. Electric 18v Ryobi. Already got a bunch of one+ batteries and tools and was trying to cut some big limbs with a sawzall and it was taking forever so figured this might be better. At that price figured why not, not like it's breaking the bank.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ry...w-tool-only-/1001197341?searchterm=1001197341

Never even used a chainsaw before lol, so I'll see how it goes. For the amount of use it will get, a gas one just makes no sense for me and would be a lot of hassle. Mixing fuels etc. Pretty small bar, but really all I need.

Ever since I put the solar panels on my shed I've kinda been obsessed with going electric for all yard related tools. Next is lawnmower. :p The EGO ones look promising.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I use a push mower, 100% of the energy comes from my muscles, none from gasoline or electricity. Of course, my lawn is less than 300 square feet. Only issue is sharpening the blades, which can be done.

I have an electric chainsaw I picked up at Costco for around $80 IIRC, some 15 years ago or so. Still works fine, but I think about maintenance. I oil the chain frequently, check on the chain slack and tighten as required. Have done that many times. I used to use chainsaw oil on the chain but now use canola oil.

Be careful with a chainsaw. Read the instructions and warnings. Check out threads, there are many excellent threads out there about chainsaws. Many people have had really bad accidents with them. Never have your head above where a chainsaw could kick up into it, always have your head and limbs off to the side where they are safe. Don't use a chainsaw if you are really tired/fatigued. Be heads up and aware at all times.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I've read up on safety before as I was toying with getting one when I was thinking of getting a wood stove for the house. Will reread that stuff to have a refresher. Kickbacks can really be dangerous if not controlled right.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah ... chainsaw & accident are not words you want to use in the same sentence!

Also if you had to order it Idk about the whole "impulse" thing ....

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah ... chainsaw & accident are not words you want to use in the same sentence!

Also if you had to order it Idk about the whole "impulse" thing ....
Mine was sorta impulse. Saw it at Costco. It's actually a pole saw. You can put it on an extending pole or not, so it's very versatile. I have used it a lot both ways, even on a ladder. But you have to have presence of mind.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Cutting with a chainsaw is a pretty violent thing. Be careful.

I learned that when I impulse bought one to cut down a small tree. Damn thing can really jump on you if you're not careful.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Get yourself a set of chaps, and wear them every time you start it up. They're a little pricy, bulky, and hot, but they beat a trip to hospital if you even make it there since you'll probably be working alone.

edit: I use these...

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/husqvarna-chainsaw-safety-chaps-0545662p.html

They give reasonable protection, are reasonably comfortable, at a reasonable price. I'm pretty happy with them anyway, and will get them again, but there's other styles that have added features if you get into forestry more seriously. But if you any cutting at all, get chaps. A lot of people are lucky til they aren't.

edit2:
Also get a file/guide, and learn to sharpen the chain. It's espeically important on a battery saw. You don't have power or run time to spare, so every cut should count.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Also get a file/guide, and learn to sharpen the chain. It's espeically important on a battery saw. You don't have power or run time to spare, so every cut should count.
I should get a file/guide. I'm sure my chain could use sharpening, but it doesn't seem to be a critical need. I don't use it often. Mine is corded, which I like. But, of course, you have to be careful not to cut the cord while working. Like I say, keep your attention on what you're doing. Don't slip up even a little and you aren't apt to slip up a lot. That's my motto. It's helped me immensely driving, bicycling, roller skating, and using a chain saw.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I like Ryobi stuff. I've only had issues with a corded reciprocating saw I bought...I had to talk to the Home Depot manager and got them to take it as a return rather than a warranty repair and I upgraded to a Milkwaukee reciprocating saw. (just saying, not all of their tools are 100% quality)

BTW....If you have any of those battery packs die on you, you can revive them pretty easily. Check Youtube. I had 2 that weren't recognized on the charger...one was brand new. You just need a torx to remove the screws. I used a car/marine battery trickle charger and some wire to touch the terminals on the battery pack for 10-20 seconds. It was enough to get the voltage up to 5+ volts...which was enough for the charger circuit test to pass and allow it to be charged again. I did this on 3 dead packs I had.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Get yourself a set of chaps, and wear them every time you start it up. They're a little pricy, bulky, and hot, but they beat a trip to hospital if you even make it there since you'll probably be working alone.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/husqvarna-chainsaw-safety-chaps-0545662p.html

They give reasonable protection, are reasonably comfortable, at a reasonable price. I'm pretty happy with them anyway, and will get them again, but there's other styles that have added features if you get into forestry more seriously. But if you any cutting at all, get chaps. A lot of people are lucky til they aren't.

edit2:
Chaps are only rated for gasoline powered saws. Electric are direct drive (no centrifugal clutch to slip) and apparently will go through chaps. I have Stihl brand chaps and the tag warns they are not for electric powered chain saws.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Chaps are only rated for gasoline powered saws. Electric are direct drive (no centrifugal clutch to slip) and apparently will go through chaps. I have Stihl brand chaps and the tag warns they are not for electric powered chain saws.

Good to know... But ya I will be super cautious for sure. Need to review safety videos and stuff, it's not a tool to be messed with.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Stupid HomeDepot site won't even load pricing/shipping data. That's what I get for not accessing it from Canada?

Attachments

• ryobihomedepot.jpg
    ryobihomedepot.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 6

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's weird. The Canadian Tire site has been doing that to me actually. So many sites have too much javascript BS now, more prone to loading issues and so on based on the millions of different browser setups out there.

But since I never posted the price it was $228.00 with free shipping. Only issue I never really got any info on how to go pick it up when it's ready, I presume that's in my email, but my email server decided to crap out.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
They work with electric. It'll still jam up the works and stop the chain.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Woah that's an epic beard. At least I know I meet one of the requirements to using a chainsaw.

Just don't want to get the saw stuck in it. :eek:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

edit2:

Was going to mention chaps as well.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
battery lawn tools are great. I've got a LOT of fruit trees/hedges and currently have rhe following EGO brand tools: chainsaw, pole saw, hedge trimmer, blower.

instant on sure as hell beats yanking on a cord for 10 minutes. and yes, a chainsaw can be... interesting.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just went to pick this up today. Forgot to get bar oil so I'll get that tomorrow. I ran it just to test it out but didn't cut anything, it's very fast and consistent, pretty much what I'd expect from something electric. Got a big branch to cut up tomorrow, can't wait to use it. :D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use canola oil in the winter cause I like the way it flows. Might be an option since your summer is like my winter :^P

In hot weather I use bar oil cause it has tackifiers in it, and I hear it's good to run petrol every so often after canola to keep it clean. For light use, you can get bio oils. They cost more, but for light use it wouldn't be an egregious expense. Better than constantly throwing oil on the ground, especially around water.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think op is the eight dwarf, you know, long lost brother of the seven dwarves that saves Snowwhite

And op needs a full titanium chainmail.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Used it today. Goes really smooth, and kickback is not really an issue with a saw this size either and because it's so lightweight it's really easy to use and not tiring. Goes through the battery pretty quick though but I guess it's to be expected. Ryobi does make some bigger batteries, so if I was planing to go out in the bush with this I'd probably get a bunch of the bigger ones.

I'd be curious to see how it would do with a real sized tree though, this was just a smaller branch I was dealing with but it was going well.

Obligatory safety hair tie:

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Don't underestimate the kickback potential. If you put the nose in the wrong place, even a small saw can hurt you. Reduced kickback chain helps, but it's still no guarantee.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh yeah I was ready for it any time, but like it's not as jerky as I expected it to be so that's good. I just make sure my body is out of the line of fire if it does decide to.