I just had a $1,050 transaction reversed on me by PAYPAL without a REASON?

Aug 8, 2001
So, I sold something on ebay and the guy pays immediately. I noticed he bought another item of similiar value just a couple of hours before which raised some flags since it's over $$1k here but I figured it was because of Christmas (possibiliy present). I checked both his ebay name and address with his paypal name address and everything matched. Also, shipping was to a confirmed (paypal seller protection ELIGIBLE) address and the funding was instant transfer (NO credit cards). The item was sold and paid for (BIN) on the 19th and the item shipped out the same day to ensure it would arrive before the Holidays.

Anyways, I checked that it just arrived this morning and I had a bad feeling for some reason so I logged into my paypal and apparently the transaction was reversed with NO explanation given whatsoever. It just says...reversed at like 7:00 and I never received not ONE e-mail from paypal indicating WHY it was reversed. Anyways, I was suspicous of that character and pulled all my funds out of paypal anyways so now I have a negative balance of over 1K. I have a couple of other auctions going that I'll need to cancel or make sure they don't direct payment to that negtaive paypal account.

Ok, I e-mailed paypal asking what's up just earlier so I'll see what their lame brain response will be. And before anyone has any (I told you paypal is horrible and directing us to the paypal sucks websites) paypal is a neccessary evil as I wouldn't get nearly as many buyers without it but I may consider to stop selling anything alltogether as this is really stupid!!

Really though, who thinks I'll be protected? If I'm not then I guess paypal will just lose another customer and they're not getting 1 cent of that 1k they reversed without ANY explanation. Really though, if that other guy's paypal account was hacked and everything...why wasn't I notified by paypal as soon as possible to STOP delivery?? I still haven't gotten an e-mail from paypal yet.

Edit: Also, Money orders are a pain too...since some can be cancelled before a month's up claiming it was lost or stolen so there's just no Seller protection anymore. Credit cards have charge back...paypal just takes your money without notification, MO/cashier's checks can be cancelled. What other forms of payment is secure these days anyways besides no security Western Union. Well, anyways, I especially dislike paypal.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Can't really help you as I've never used Paypal, but it was pretty damn wise of you to pull out your funds while you could. Be grateful that you didn't get screwed out of $1,050. ;)

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Soon as you get paid, transfer the payment to another account, so that they cannot take it back.. Then I believe it's up to you to either pay back or keep the money..

I heard that other people do that also..

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
even if you pulled the money out of your paypal account and they have a legit reason to take it they will either charge it to a credit card on file, or pull it out of the bank account you have linked to your account. Have you thought about emailing the person you sold the item to and asking if they reversed the charges?

Aug 8, 2001
They can charge my credit card all they..I'll just dispute the charges. I doubt they'll take it out of my bank account as it's happened to my friend. They just constantly ask you to make the balance positive again. I'll close my chcecking account in a couple days anyways and if they try to touch it I'll just dispute it with my bank.

I see no way they think they're right here...even if it was a stolen hacked account that the buyer was able to change the confirmed address to HIS?? (They'd need a credit card with the same last name I believe) but that fact that they didn't notify me immediately upon getting the complaint makes me angry. They also offered the seller protection eligible sign too.

Aug 8, 2001
Just fired off an e-mail to damon. Man, I hate scammers! The signature portion from airborne shows signed by receptionist??? HMMM....what's going on?!?!

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
As long as you have a tracking number you should be good. I'm sure you'll get your money back. It does suck that in the mean time they leave you with a negative balance.

Aug 8, 2001
Well, even if my account is fine (balance retruned) , I'm still angry a scammer gets away scott free. I hate scammers and they must all DIE!!!@!@!2