I just got porch-picked first time and feels like crap.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Local police just sent out a warning about porch pickers, apparently a lot of places around here have been hit already :(

ZYFER

Nov 2, 2002
Nothing yet and it's surprising given Amazon's top customer service. I guess this high value can be a cause for the delay.

Worst case I can request money back from credit card but I really want the items and price went up $150 now.

I would keep on them on it. Very rarely in these types of situations do they keep good contact with the customer. Bot talking specifically about Amazon. They are probably waiting on UPS to handle the case. Might get better results from escalation as well.

FredWillson

Nov 18, 2016
F*cker stole a huge ups pkg early morning. Left left the box opened and took the items.

Talking with Amazon right now. Value was over $900 and I can't believe ups did not do signature on delivery.

I feel so! crap. Hope Amazon doesn't think I'm one of those frauds who false-claim.

F*cking day

Sen
Oh man that sucks. Amazon f***ed up real hard. Had the same situation, but the package was a little bit more than $200 . Since then I use only package forwarding services. The price is the same, delivery is faster and no s**t like this.

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
So simple guys. Get a van vault, fit a yale type lock to it that will lock without a key. Leave it open with a note to put delivery inside and shut lid. Unless you have multiple deliveries a day it is pretty much foolproof.

You can even put a nice cover and cushion on in and use it as a seat when not in use.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
So simple guys. Get a van vault, fit a yale type lock to it that will lock without a key. Leave it open with a note to put delivery inside and shut lid. Unless you have multiple deliveries a day it is pretty much foolproof.

You can even put a nice cover and cushion on in and use it as a seat when not in use.

That is actually pretty genius...

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
My former neighbor had a large plastic yard storage trunk that he left on the porch with a combination pad lock hanging on it. A note on his door asked delivery people to put things in trunk and lock lock. A lot of the delivery people in LA don't care. They toss stuff at our doors from 10 feet away, deliver things to the wrong address, toss them in the driveway, and stuff like that. So, they'd sometimes put things in that trunk.

I've had expensive injectable meds stolen from my front door. Not sure what use anyone had for that, but it cost my insurance company $1500. I've also had someone come and open a 5"x5"x5" box, found a plastic vacuum cleaner replacement part inside, and then tossed the stuff back onto my porch.

Stealing deliveries is a problem in LA. It's been going on for years. We see video on the news at least once a week. Hardly ever see anything about people being prosecuted.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My former neighbor had a large plastic yard storage trunk that he left on the porch with a combination pad lock hanging on it. A note on his door asked delivery people to put things in trunk and lock lock. A lot of the delivery people in LA don't care. They toss stuff at our doors from 10 feet away, deliver things to the wrong address, toss them in the driveway, and stuff like that. So, they'd sometimes put things in that trunk.

I've had expensive injectable meds stolen from my front door. Not sure what use anyone had for that, but it cost my insurance company $1500. I've also had someone come and open a 5"x5"x5" box, found a plastic vacuum cleaner replacement part inside, and then tossed the stuff back onto my porch.

Stealing deliveries is a problem in LA. It's been going on for years. We see video on the news at least once a week. Hardly ever see anything about people being prosecuted.

I see a future in mail protection systems:

:D

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
What if the thief locks the van vault up before the delivery person gets there?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
This is a cost of demanding cheap shipping where the shippers don't care where they leave the package as it's not their job to jump through hoops when they have quotas.

Just sit in a sniping perch and after a few bodies drop the others will learn to not steal from you again. :p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That is actually pretty genius...

There was something on the interwebs today about a guy who left a note for his FedEX guy. He lived in an apartment/condo building with a keypad entry system. He created an entry code based upon the last 4 digits of the tracking number and advised him of that on the note. There was no follow up as to the success of it.

Another guy has a big wooden chest near his front door, has a lock inside that's unlocked. Note for the delivery guy to leave it in the box and lock the box. At some point they just get used to it, note no longer needed.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've left notes for delivery guys to call me, specifically for freight orders where they have no choice but to leave it out in the open, and they did! I was then able to leave work to go gather the order. Had another instance where I got them to put an order in the garage, as I left the door open.

The wood chest idea is something that has crossed my mind too, could build a nice looking decorative chest that just sits outside all the time and is alarmed (if you try to lift it off the ground a siren goes off) and has a lock. Would just have a note that instructs them to put the box in there and either have them lock it or have it so it locks automatically. Has to be a short easy and clear note and no overly complicated instructions and most delivery people would probably follow it. I would avoid anything that involves punching a code, that's adding a slight level of complexity some might say "FTS" and not bother. I recall reading something to the effect that they have to be in and out of your property in like 10 seconds. I don't recall what courier that was for but I presume they mostly all have similar rules.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
There was something on the interwebs today about a guy who left a note for his FedEX guy. He lived in an apartment/condo building with a keypad entry system. He created an entry code based upon the last 4 digits of the tracking number and advised him of that on the note. There was no follow up as to the success of it.

Another guy has a big wooden chest near his front door, has a lock inside that's unlocked. Note for the delivery guy to leave it in the box and lock the box. At some point they just get used to it, note no longer needed.

I saw that one too... I'll trust a guy to close a door or attach a lock, keying in numbers is taking it too far for me.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I did and offer them but Amazon declined.
There really isn't anything you can do. Under UCC Article 2 which all retailers adhere to the package was delivered to the customer relieving both the retailer and shipper from any further obligation concerning the package. Unless it was insured against theft you will not be able to recover any funds concerning it and that is a fact of life.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
TFW I live on a side of the street with no sidewalk

hZRMXmN.png

Saves us $ on unbought Halloween candy, too

Last edited: