I just got porch-picked first time and feels like crap.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Man porch thieves in your hood must be amateurs - they just follow the trucks around here.

No, my city has actually been in the news for the number of package thefts. But almost all of the thefts have been on quiet side roads. I live on one of the main streets but there's no parking on my side of the street and my house is about 100 ft from the street. So, if they really wanted to steal something they'd have to lug it a distance and cross traffic to get to their getaway car.

If they steal the package that I'm getting Saturday, they're only getting a microfiber blanket and led dog collar. Anything really expensive like a phone or something, I work from home that day.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
My porch has a nearly solid railing around it that would be great for obscuring nearly any size or number of packages.

Instead packages routinely get dropped dead center at the top of the stairs, like a dazzling buxom temptress hoping to lure even the most virtuous of passerby's into snatching it to fund the meth habit they have never found the right moment to start.

It's almost like some people don't care.

Reactions: Ns1
Nov 20, 2009
Actually, sounds like someone needs to come up with a product that uses proximity alert to your mobile whenever something alive comes within a couple of feet of your box (Good for women, too) and then allows you the option to electrify the box.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Sucks! I always found it odd how signature requirement is so sporadic. I've had signatures be required for <$100 items while >$1,000 of stuff just left sitting in the snow. On one hand it's great to not have to chase the package around, on the other hand, I'm always worried it gets stolen. I'd like to eventually have a security camera or two that oversees my front yard though, at very least if it was to get stolen I'd have footage of it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Why not get stuff delivered to you at work? I've done that for numerous jobs.

Obviously if I was getting a huge TV delivered and I was taking mass transit home, I'd have taken a day off and waited at home.

But for those who drive to work and back, just get it sent to work most of the time. And the rest, work should still be good for most-sized packages.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Been seeing this in the news a lot.
Apparently porch thieves are much busier this year than ever before.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recall reading a story where this was very well known in a certain neighborhood, so a guy figured out who it was. He'd follow the UPS truck around then just go steal stuff once they leave it. This guy decided to retaliate and leave a box on his porch and arranged it so that when it is opened, it flings poop. Best karma ever!

One thing that's crossed my mind is to build a decorative chest that I can leave near my door, have it so it can be remotely lock/unlocked and leave a small note telling the UPS guy to put it inside. Could also have it alert me when it is openned. They may not all follow the instructions but some will. I've left my garage door unlocked before and left a note saying to put it inside and they did, and locked it for me. I normally would not want to leave it unlocked though but it was a one of and I was just leaving the house for like an hour.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That sure stops the package from being stolen from the porch.

if lots of people actually went to jail and the news made a big deal about it, yes.
If they dont put any real effort into catching the guys or the judge lets em walk, probably no.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
if lots of people actually went to jail and the news made a big deal about it, yes.
If they dont put any real effort into catching the guys or the judge lets em walk, probably no.

Given the propensity of videos featuring porch thieves, I'll put money on the latter

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've had amazon packages of over $1k not require signature. Now though my mother in law comes over to watch our son so I don't have to worry about stuff being stolen. Never heard of it happening in my neighborhood thus far either which is good.

Now is the time of year you will hear a lot of it happening though due to everyone Xmas shopping. I know I'll be having a shitload of boxes coming from Amazon once I do mine.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Not. Gives the police an image to bust the fucker.

Where I work we have provided video evidence of crimes being committed on several occasions. Have yet to see any of them prosecuted.

If the package is expensive just have it held at the UPS store/Fedex pickup.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
We do a lot of online shopping and it's amazing that none of us have had this happen to so far. Even back when we were at an apartment in a pretty ghetto area nothing was taken. I do remember one time at the apartment where ups just left all packages of my new computer build at the front door. :eek:

Some of the delivery guys in our area at least attempt to hide the packages behind a pillar near our door. It won't stop the ones following the trucks or someone coming all the way to the door but helps with the ones driving/walking by. I have asked delivery guys with a note on the door to leave the package behind our side gate and to remove the note. They have complied every time and one actually bagged my packages up in a plastic bag because it was raining when I instructed them to leave it behind the gate which was uncovered. :thumb:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
You need a camera or Ring. https://ring.com/ I've seen mixed reviews on it though. Nice idea, but a camera might be a better idea.

http://fakespot.com/product/ring-wi-fi-enabled-video-doorbell-c6bda62b-3467-4d8f-b947-ca3f9500ce9b

The new one is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-88LP000CH000-Video-Doorbell-Pro/dp/B01DM6BDA4/

Ring Pro, $249. 1080p, nightvision, motion detection, 2-way communication (you can talk to people at your door through the smartphone app & see what they're doing). Reasonably discreet as it's built into the doorbell. Very good quality video. Some of the videos they post of thieves getting caught or talked to are hilarious!

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I like the Morissette-esque irony of solving the problem by having a security camera delivered to your porch.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I like the Morissette-esque irony of solving the problem by having a security camera delivered to your porch.

If you want irony, in my block of flats (as we call them here) someone stole the secure-door-entry system.

Here I'd take it entirely for granted that anything left on the landing is going to disappear very quickly. Its a handy way to get rid of any bits of furniture or other stuff you don't want, but its tiresome when delivery people leave packages out there when they should just post a 'while you were out' card.

Feb 25, 2011
Does it cost more to require a signature? If so then I can understand seeing the crazy amount of packages they send.
Yeah, it adds a buck or three to the cost. Because it slows down the delivery driver. (Quite a bit, actually.)

They'd much rather you hold the package at the depot and come pick it up. (Promptly!) I know that's true because they don't charge extra for that.

larciel

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Yeah, it adds a buck or three to the cost. Because it slows down the delivery driver. (Quite a bit, actually.)

They'd much rather you hold the package at the depot and come pick it up. (Promptly!) I know that's true because they don't charge extra for that.
I thought mychoiceUPS was a stupid idea to charge customers $40/yr. Guess I was the fool. I just signed up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
A couple of years ago I got porch pick rejected on an outgoing box. Sold a couple of golf club heads, printed a label and left them on the porch for the mail carrier to pick up. Checked about an hour later and the box was gone, but the mail had not been delivered yet. Thought "oh shit!!" and ran outside. Found the box cut open and tossed in my forsythia bush with the clubs still inside. Guess the thief didn't want them and didn't have a way to move them quickly, so he passed. They were worth about $150, so I was lucky it was a dumbass lazy thief.

I now have a security camera trained on the porch.

Nov 20, 2009
Makes me want to sell products that are fake packages that do something when stolen. You know, a box with APPLE iPhone on the side and then something like Ebola inside. OK, a bit much, but you get the picture.