I just got my first meat cleaver...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You can always just cut at the joints.
Yeah but then you gotta get the precise spot, make sure you kinda bend it to break/loosen the joint up, then make sure you cut in the right spot, etc.

With the cleaver, you just hack at it once or twice and you're done. No need for all that other bs. It's strictly a convenience thing for me.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah but then you gotta get the precise spot, make sure you kinda bend it to break/loosen the joint up, then make sure you cut in the right spot, etc.

With the cleaver, you just hack at it once or twice and you're done. No need for all that other bs. It's strictly a convenience thing for me.

Not cut out for French cooking I see

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You can cut through chicken bones without damaging the knife blade?

Yes...do all the time. When I make chicken legs I tend to chop the ends off, push the meat up the bone, and pull the pin bone out. Kind of like this:
chicken-lollipop-500x500-500x500.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yes...do all the time. When I make chicken legs I tend to chop the ends off, push the meat up the bone, and pull the pin bone out. Kind of like this:
chicken-lollipop-500x500-500x500.jpg
Do you hack at it with the knife? Just wondering because the way I used to do it with my knife is I'd start slicing a bit by the joint, then I'd just put my hand on top and put a lot of weight on it until it crunched and got through. Again the knife was ass but it did the trick, but took effort and time.

The cleaver saves like 5 seconds probably per cut and is just easier. And as much chicken as I eat, that time adds up!

Oh, and it's more fun!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think everyone needs a beater knife or a cleaver, something that isn't too expensive or treasured, with a sturdy 25 degree or bigger (I'd go 30-35 degrees on a cleaver) so you can hack. Something that will live stored in a plastic sheath, not on the mag strip. Do not hack at boned animal parts with your finely honed 15 degree angle beauty. You will regret it.

Also, if you're going to spend money on knives and storage items, don't skimp on a proper cutting board. Get a Boos if you have the cash, they're terrific. Otherwise any softwood will work great, be gentle on your edges, and is actually anti-bacterial thanks to the natural enzymes found in wood (but are more abundant in evergreens IIRC). My favorite is a round slab of ironwood. I like how the Chinese would just use what is essentially a tree stump, just in a kitchen. Over time it seasons, not unlike a cast iron wok.

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Do you hack at it with the knife? Just wondering because the way I used to do it with my knife is I'd start slicing a bit by the joint, then I'd just put my hand on top and put a lot of weight on it until it crunched and got through. Again the knife was ass but it did the trick, but took effort and time.

The cleaver saves like 5 seconds probably per cut and is just easier. And as much chicken as I eat, that time adds up!

Oh, and it's more fun!

One chop. Poultry bones are hollow and light-weight, so they chop easily. A weighted chef knife will cut through them with no problem. We tended to use cleavers more for pork and beef bones, but there's no hard set rules. If you like using it, then use it, just be safe. One hand on the board, make a slice where you want to cut, use a strong grip on the handle, and come straight down allowing the weight of the cleaver to do the work. Keep it sharp too- most blade injuries in the kitchen come from dull knives believe it or not.

BTW- this is one of my family's favorite dinner recipes, and it shows how easily a good knife will cut chicken bones:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I think everyone needs a beater knife or a cleaver, something that isn't too expensive or treasured, with a sturdy 25 degree or bigger (I'd go with 30 degrees on a cleaver) so you can hack. Something that will live stored in a plastic sheath, not on the mag strip. Do not hack at boned animal parts with your finely honed 15 degree angle beauty. You will regret it.

Also, if you're going to spend money on knives and storage items, don't skimp on a proper cutting board. Get a Boos if you have the cash, they're terrific. Otherwise any softwood will work great, be gentle on your edges, and is actually anti-bacterial thanks to the natural enzymes found in wood (but are more abundant in evergreens IIRC). My favorite is an round slab of ironwood. I like how the Chinese would just use what is essentially a tree stump, just in a kitchen. Over time it seasons, not unlike a cast iron wok.

Decent knives made out of carbon steel or folded steel- you're not going to damage them by cutting food. Knives tend to get damaged when you try to cut something that's as hard or harder than the blade. Keeping them sharp and clean is the key: never put a knife in the dishwasher (rinse with hot water and wipe clean immediately after using is the best practice). Learn to use a honing rod (this keeps the blade straight---it doesn't actually sharpen the knife). Finally, get either a good sharpening stone or a hand-held knife sharpener (my favorite- Wusthof makes an electric one that's a bit pricey but does an absolutely fantastic job).

A good test to tell if your knife is sharp enough: dice an onion. You should be able to make slices without having to press against the onion:

Classic-Onion-Tech.gif