I just got my 4 wisdom teeth taken out.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm I don't recall any pain killers for any dental work, even when they had to reconstruct my front teeth several times. (pop can be a killer). They just froze it and that's it. It's cool now since when they freeze you don't even feel the needle. It almost feels like a pen just touching your gums, then it starts to get all weird.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Did mine 2 years ago. Holy crap, what at trippy few days. I had the gas and local anesthesia. I bit the nurse's fingers when she was removing the gauze from my mouth.

I was eating solid food by the next day though. Swelling was huge too, so thank god for opium laced Tylennol-3. The worst thing was that I had dry lips, and they weren't moisturized when they pryed my mouth open, so I got huge bleeding cracks on them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've only got one left. 2 have had to come out in the past 10 years, the 4th one came out when I was about 17. (USMC dentists FTW!) :rolleyes:

I broke one of my lower 12 year molars about a month ago. That hurt a bit...and it got worse as time went on. It finally abscessed pretty badly, so I "bit the bullet" and had it pulled. (maybe if I'd quit biting bullets, I wouldn't break so many teeth!) :p

In spite of the broken tooth and abscess, that thing did NOT want to come out. The dentist had to drill into the jawbone and take a piece of that out with the tooth. :|

Because I have high blood pressure, (controlled by meds) the dentist used a "different" type of novacaine...it was about 75% worn off by the time I left the office, and 100% gone by the time I got home. That was fun...For the first time in many years, I had to break into the large bottle of vicodan left over from my knee surgery. Of course, I'm allergic to hydrocodone...so I had to take it with benadryl...shoulda washed it down with a couple of shots of Crown Royal. (that always makes pain pills work better) :biggrin:
Much to the surprise of everyone in the office, I was back to work the next morning. <shrug>

Agman

Dec 29, 2005
Dry socket sucks majorly. I had 1 dry socket and 1 partial dry socket and the pain was unbearable, and the stuff they used to medicate and pack it in was gross and disgusting.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
troll troll troll your boat
i hope op was smart enough not to listen to this guy, or he could say hello to dry socket.

I had a couple dry sockets in my time...just throw some KY at the problem. You are both happier then.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I had all 4 of mine surgically removed because they were under the gum line and coming in at an angle that could have pushed my other teeth out of the way. All I remember is the gas, then the shot, then counting. Next thing I know I am on my side in a recovery room with cotton in my mouth. I walk out, get in the car, ride home with my dad and sleep for couple of hours. By that night I was eating normally and I never had any pain.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed. Wasn't bad at all. Recovered in about 2 days with very little swelling. Luckily, I didn't fall victim to infection/dry socket.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Seems about the same as yesterday...I still don't think the Lortab does much for me (same thing they gave me when I had my gallbladder out). Doesn't hurt that bad though except when I open wide.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
found out a few days ago im going to need all 4 out.... probably going to get them out during the summer... I really hope it doesnt suck.

The doc already said he usually gives some laughing gas and valium to let people relax... hope that helps.

I already had 4 taken out for my braces, hope its not going to be any worse

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Tell you what though, I was having a nice little trip when they woke me up. Couldn't really talk, so I found a piece of paper and a pen in the car as my wife drove me home.
When I woke up, I started to panic because I didn't know where I was!

I didn't like the way Tylenol 3 made me feel so I gave them to a friend. It wasn't until a few years later that I learned how insanely illegal it is to give away your prescription medication.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
i had one side's taken out last year...wasn't THAT bad. worst part was constant worrying about dry socketz lol, that and not being able to eat what i wanted for a bit.

pain wasn't too bad. took some pills the first night but then saved the rest. worst part was the numbness and not knowing i was drooling blood all over the pharmacy and later that night my pillow lol.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i had all 4 of mine taken out in HS, fun times.

my sister had all 4 of hers taken out and then 2 of them grew back

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
2 grew back? your sister should let the Guinness Record people know about that. ;)

arent they suppose to shave the bone down a bit so that doesnt happen? I dont see any other reason why they told me they were gonna shave the bone a little bit when they told me what they do to take them out (havent had the procedure done yet)