I just got a Tmobile cellphone.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Is there a fee for browsing through Tzones? I didn't download anything but is there a fee just for accessing Tzones? Isn't it accessing the net? My phone also has AIM feature. I don't want to run it yet if there is a fee. Is this service automatically enabled once I run the program or do I need to tell Tmobile I want the service?

PM Nocturnal. He got a week ban for advocating piracy, but AFAIK he also works with cell phones for his job.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
The rep at the store you bought the phone from didn't know this stuff and you still bought the phone?

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Hate to say this, but why don't you just call customer service? Dial 611 from your cellphone.

Oh, and no T-Zones is not free.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
unless TZone was part of your contract you have to pay 2.99 fee to access TZone for 1mb download and something like 10 dollars for unlimited TZone access. If you press the TZone button on your phone it will say you need to sign up with TZone do you wish to do so now and it prompts you with a 2.99 fee.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Go here: http://t-mobile.howardforums.com

It's undocumented, but T-Mobile currently has free WAP (internet) browsing for all customers. This does not include the T-Zones homepage in most cases, except (possibly) if your phone supports WAP 2.0. Anyway, the people at the site I linked will be able to give you a lot more info.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I bought the Motorola V300 from Amazon.com for free after rebates. I'm going to add the phone to an existing family plan.

When I click on the Tzone icon it looks like it's accessing the net and I'm presented with three links:
Download Fun
Unlimited t-zones
Text/Instant Msgs

I can go to those links but it asks for money if I want to download something. I'm wondering if there's a charge just for going through the links?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: erwin1978
I bought the Motorola V300 from Amazon.com for free after rebates. I'm going to add the phone to an existing family plan.

When I click on the Tzone icon it looks like it's accessing the net and I'm presented with three links:
Download Fun
Unlimited t-zones
Text/Instant Msgs

I can go to those links but it asks for money if I want to download something. I'm wondering if there's a charge just for going through the links?

No, there isn't. Also, if you sign on to aim, every message sent and received is billed as a text message. If you do not sign off your phone, then go to your computer and start chatting on aim, AOL will report your usage to t-mobile as if you are still on your cell phone. When you're done with AIM on your phone, LOG OFF using the aim menu.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
So you can browse websites and use aim even though your contract is not signed up for it? You simply need to access them on the phone? That's not good. What if you accidentally press the login button.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
So you can browse websites and use aim even though your contract is not signed up for it? You simply need to access them on the phone? That's not good. What if you accidentally press the login button.

Logging in to AIM isn't easy. You don't "accidentally" log in. In any case, you may not be able to browse the internet without t-zones. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. It depends on a few factors internally, but some have gotten away with not paying for t-zones. That menu that you see when you try to access t-zones is basic WAP functionality. It gives you access to basic things. Before t-zones was changed, you had to pay for t-zones every month, then pay AGAIN for anything you wanted to download. Thank got it was fixed. Anyway, t-zones is cheap, but it loses it's novelty pretty fast. Unless you've got a data device, I wouldn't suggest it.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I called them and I was told there is no charge for browsing the Tzones but I get charge for downloading the ringtones, games and wallpapers.

BigSmooth, thanks for that link.

MustyTang

Sep 2, 2003
I called them and I was told there is no charge for browsing the Tzones but I get charge for downloading the ringtones, games and wallpapers.

BigSmooth, thanks for that link.

Ya...if you sign up for the 4.99 tzones, it allows you email access, set up movie listing stuff, sports scores, etc. The 9.99 tzones allows you to receive corporate email. You can do things like checking wap.ebay.com without signing up for tzones. My bank allows me to do banking through my cell phone on it's wap site!!..it's so cool.

MustyTang

Sep 2, 2003
Originally posted by: HiTek21
unless TZone was part of your contract you have to pay 2.99 fee to access TZone for 1mb download and something like 10 dollars for unlimited TZone access. If you press the TZone button on your phone it will say you need to sign up with TZone do you wish to do so now and it prompts you with a 2.99 fee.

That's the grandfathered tzones, which has been gone for a few months now. The fee is 4.99 now for the regular tzones

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
With AIM you get billed for text messages when you sign on. I got nailed with something like 100 text messages one month because I didn't know that. I haven't touched AIM since.

sglurker

Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BornStar18
With AIM you get billed for text messages when you sign on. I got nailed with something like 100 text messages one month because I didn't know that. I haven't touched AIM since.

did u sign on AIM through the built in phone AIM, or did u sign on using tzones (WAP)?

i thought the tzones version of AIM was free

can anybody verify?

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: sglurker
Originally posted by: BornStar18

did u sign on AIM through the built in phone AIM, or did u sign on using tzones (WAP)?

i thought the tzones version of AIM was free

can anybody verify?
I used the version built into my 3390 Gold. I can't tell you how T-Zones works because that phone doesn't support it. I haven't played with T-Zones on my T610 yet.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
supposedly grms tzones is free now, if you contract was signed after 11/1/03

at least thast what i read on fat wallet. now if it uses your backup non grms service then it wastes minutes.

i havent been able to quite try this yet, but thats what i have heard, it will say on your bill that its free too.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
All I know is I didn't explicitly sign up for Tzones but I do know that I can browse some wap websites. There is a fee for downloading ringtones, wallpapers and screensavers. It's prompts you if you want to buy before downloading.

On the Tmobile website, with a real computer, are those ringtones for free? I just clicked download and it told me a text message is sent to my phone. I checked the message but I don't want to download yet if there will be a charge for it. Is there one?

Damn, I wish this was all explained on their website: what's free and what isn't?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
If you change your price plan or sign up after early november, then you're going to get basic access to t-zones for free. No matter how you sign on to aim, you'll be charged for text.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
All I know is I didn't explicitly sign up for Tzones but I do know that I can browse some wap websites. There is a fee for downloading ringtones, wallpapers and screensavers. It's prompts you if you want to buy before downloading.

On the Tmobile website, with a real computer, are those ringtones for free? I just clicked download and it told me a text message is sent to my phone. I checked the message but I don't want to download yet if there will be a charge for it. Is there one?

Damn, I wish this was all explained on their website: what's free and what isn't?

Man, you guys are SHARP.
rolleye.gif

:p

The only way t-mobile can charge you for something is if they tell you that there is a charge before you make the purchase and you agree to the charge. No ringtone, wallpaper, or game is free unless specifically listed as such. Right around Vallentines Day, there were a few wallpapers that were of said theme and they were free. Otherwise, when you download them on your phone, there's a charge. If you READ when you're poking around the site on your computer, you'll see that each ringtone costs $0.99.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The easiest way to get new ringtones and stuff for free is to find whatever ringtone you want and go to www.euploader.com and upload it to their site. It will give you a wap address to go to. Use your phone to go to that wap address (free) and download the ringtone/image.

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Well, I really can't read. I just look at pictures and stuff. So, all Tmobile members get access to WAP pages for free? Don't they provide internet access as a separate monthly charge?

Before I call Tmobile up, is there a charge if I don't download the ringtone to my phone? I was browsing around and listening to a 50cent ringtone when I clicked the download key. I immediately checked my phone and there's a message stating I can now download the ringtone to my phone. I haven't done so. Am I still going to get charged even if I haven't downloaded it to my phone? If I am then I might as well download it.

If I sign up for Tzones, not the pro, do I get the downloads free? I hope you enjoy answering my questions. Someday I'll answer your questions in return.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
I am proud to tell you that I have been a hardcore v300 tmo user. most of your questions are already answer on howardforums. if you have time to look for it, you will find it.

tzones <--useless POS, go to menu and "enter url" then put just go any web/wap site you want to you. you do get the internet for free. therefore, ringtones and wallpaper for free as well.

aim <-- go to the wap site they have from aol. http://wimd.aol.com/?service=tmobile <---login from there, you can chat for totally FREE.
DO NOT use the built in AIM in your mobile. DO NOT...it will cost you textmessages.

there are more to play with, learn from HoFo.

Welcome to Tmo :)

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Ok. I signed on to the WAP aim. A text message is sent back to the phone. Won't I get charge for that text message?