I just found out my idiot [underaged] brother got a DUI the other night

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Stupid idiot!! Fucking stupid IDIOT! FUCKING DUMBASS!!!1 His friends are a bunch of losers and he was driving them home from a birthday party.

His court date is May. Does he need a lawyer? Will this stay on his record permanently? What will happen next?

On a good note, he's now stopped hanging out with his loser friends and stopped drinking/smoking. Sadly, it took something like this for him to realize he was going nowhere fast.

Just venting.

Current mood: :|:(

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
In NH, a DUI stays on your record for at least ten years.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Why are YOU so worried?
He learned a lesson the hard way (I'm sure you told him "don't drink and drive" - the easy way - but he didn't listen).
Whats the problem man? Are you paying his insurance?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Some states will take away his license and not give it back to him until he is 21.

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
I feel ya. My older brother is always getting into trouble, asking for money, being unemployed, drinking, etc (the list goes on and on and on). It seems like a vicious cycle with him and there's not really anything anybody can do about it. I've tried to talk some sense into him but he usually just gets pissed off at me. Oh well.

Just remember that your brother has to make his own choices and therefore live with them. I'm glad to hear he's stopped hanging with those friends. He just needs positive reinforcement now to stay on the right track and out of trouble. I'm sorry for you though:heart:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: MegaVovaN
Why are YOU so worried?
He learned a lesson the hard way (I'm sure you told him "don't drink and drive" - the easy way - but he didn't listen).
I'm just pissed that he's throwing away his life. I told him to move in with me next month so he could get his act together and go to community college and transfer to a 4-year college.

ARGGG!!!1 IDIOT!

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Why are YOU so worried?

Maybe he's just concerned for his brother? Maybe he was worried that his brother could have gotten killed or killed other people?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Why are YOU so worried?

sometimes siblings care about their siblings and don't want them getting into trouble with the law. Caring siblings will get angry and disappointed. Thankfully I've never had to really be disappointed in my older sis and was a good example for me, although she could have gotten a DUI a couple times had she been caught, and that disappointed me.

are you an only child?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
Why are YOU so worried?
I'm just pissed that he's throwing away his life. I told him to move in with me next month so he could get his act together and go to community college and transfer to a 4-year college.

ARGGG!!!1 IDIOT!

throwing his life away? don't be so dramatic.

odds are he is going to lose his driving privalges until 21. and get hit with a decent fine and lawyer fees.

YES he should get a lawyer. BUT he should be able to get away with a fine and court supervision (though they will know if he gets #2 and thats bad. but it keeps it from the insurance and jobs etc).

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Why are YOU so worried?

ARGGG!!!1 IDIOT!

odds are he is going to lose his driving privalges until 21. and get hit with a decent fine and lawyer fees.

YES he should get a lawyer. BUT he should be able to get away with a fine and court supervision (though they will know if he gets #2 and thats bad. but it keeps it from the insurance and jobs etc).
Cut me some slack. I'm Asian.

:D

EDIT: What do you mean "but it keeps it from the insurance and jobs"?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Why are YOU so worried?

ARGGG!!!1 IDIOT!

Cut me some slack. I'm Asian.

:D

EDIT: What do you mean "but it keeps it from the insurance and jobs"?

he can get court supervision. where it is not on his record when pulled so insurance and jobs don't see it.

Though sopposedly IF he gets DUI #2 they will know.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
he can get court supervision. where it is not on his record when pulled so insurance and jobs don't see it.

Ah... gotcha.

I assume he's allowed to change cities, right?

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Get him a good lawyer. You need someone that understands how the court system works, or he could get a dick head solicitor/judge who tries to throw the book at him. It's a better investment for him to have a good lawyer who can prevent him from really getting screwed over. If you have a friend or family member with some lawyer contacts, use them to get in touch with someone.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Ah... gotcha.

I assume he's allowed to change cities, right?

of course he is. it just means he has to stay out of trouble for a set period of time. IF he gets any tickets or gets in trouble for something else they will nail him for the DUI AND whatever he got in trouble for.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
of course he is. it just means he has to stay out of trouble for a set period of time. IF he gets any tickets or gets in trouble for something else they will nail him for the DUI AND whatever he got in trouble for.
Got it. Thanks!

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Why are YOU so worried?

only child? amirite?

my little brother got busted for trying to pass someone else's ID off as his own. they let everyone else go from the party, but because he was stupid (he used our other brother's ID) and got caught lying he went to jail.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
Got it. Thanks!

definately get a lawyer. like previously said, court supervision is the best he's gonna get; however, brace yourself for the worse, points on his record, misdemeanor, jobs and insurance will see it for min 3 years max 10 years. with all that said, make sure he takes driving school if offered to take at least one point away from his record. best of luck to ya.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Get a lawyer, be prepared to pay lots of money to the courts, the DMV and the lawyer.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Summit
Got it. Thanks!

definately get a lawyer. like previously said, court supervision is the best he's gonna get; however, brace yourself for the worse, points on his record, misdemeanor, jobs and insurance will see it for min 3 years max 10 years. with all that said, make sure he takes driving school if offered to take at least one point away from his record. best of luck to ya.

yeap. get a lawyer. but evena shitty one should get you court supervision (long as nobody was hurt or damage done) oh also depending on the area he may have to take counceling for drinking etc.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: destrekor
Why are YOU so worried?

sometimes siblings care about their siblings and don't want them getting into trouble with the law. Caring siblings will get angry and disappointed. Thankfully I've never had to really be disappointed in my older sis and was a good example for me, although she could have gotten a DUI a couple times had she been caught, and that disappointed me.

are you an only child?

+

Originally posted by: fisher
Why are YOU so worried?

only child? amirite?

my little brother got busted for trying to pass someone else's ID off as his own. they let everyone else go from the party, but because he was stupid (he used our other brother's ID) and got caught lying he went to jail.

No, I have a brother that's 2 yrs younger than me. I am 19.
He does some annoying shit but does not drive, drink, or smoke (yet). Skips a lot of classes in his last year of HS though...