I just don't get movies like Saw, Hostile, Hills have Eyes, etc.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I'm sorry but I just don't understand the facination with these types of movies. Am I missing something? Is it really necessary for people to see acts of torture for no real purpose? I think people just become desensitized regarding things in real life. I don't want government to censor things, but at the same time, can't we as human beings have a little restraint?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TheNinja
I'm sorry but I just don't understand the facination with these types of movies. Am I missing something? Is it really necessary for people to see acts of torture for no real purpose? I think people just become desensitized regarding things in real life. I don't want government to censor things, but at the same time, can't we as human beings have a little restraint?

We've never had restraint in the first place.

Better for people to get fake torn to shreds on a movie screen, than real torn to shreds in a coliseum, I say.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Eh, it's fake, and it's entertaining. I like that little weird filling in the pit of my stomach when I think "Wow, that's pretty f'ed up." That's the purpose of it, for me. If you're worried about people going out and torturing people because of a movie like this then you should be worrying about problems far larger than this movie (I don't care what people say, a normal person does NOT go out and commit acts of violence SIMPLY because of a movie/book/video game). I've been playing violent video games and watching violent movies (along with tons of non-violent ones too, of course) my entire life, and I've never even been in anything resembling a fight. Being humane is fantastic, but I like watching some creatively twisted things sometimes (provided they're not real :p).

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Nookie. The only purpose those movies serve for normal people is to get laid. You invite a girl over to your house to watch movies, turn down the lights, let her cling to you in the scary parts, and bingo bango, you get lucky.

CravenTacos

Aug 15, 2005
simply put, $$$. people like to be scared and see how far the envelope can be pushed. although i think special effects have more or less ruined horror movies, because they clearly don't care about the script/plot anymore.

However i do find it funny that you post a thread about a roofer who nailed himself to the roof...through his testicle and don't understand the entertainment value of gore.

OVERKILL

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005

Movies are under no obligation to be truthful or cater to a certain belief system.

The bottom line is that movies are made for entertainment purposes.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
General blood and gore movies are kinda dumb, unless they have really creepy, messed up undertones, like house of 1000 corpses. They shouldn't just creep you out because of all the fake blood, but they should creep you out because of the f'ed up way they portray some people.

Dobbs

Nov 19, 2001
Its just another case of where there is a market there is a profit. Thats what makes the screw turn and keeps the wheel spinning. You ask why do horror films appeal to anyone, those people would ask, for example, how does country music appeal to people.... Ifs a persons own choice and interest. I like classic cars but the kids across the street like ricer cars. Its just what they like but a ricer car has absoluty no appeal to me.

A friend who is deeply into the horror genre explained his appeal to the films as this: "a magician can only do so many tricks before he has to come up with something no person has ever done before, now apply that to a horror film". In other words, new ways to kill, mame, torture and terrorize but in the name of fun, entertainment and creativity where nobody is actualy hurt. To me personaly that sounds like a combination of pop 40, rap and country music all in one tight package. The horror, the horror....