"I just confirmed that Raja Koduri will in fact be going to work at Intel." - Ryan Shrout. Twitter

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
(1) Already have a Raja thread and (2) why is a GPU engineer going to work for another company in the CPU section?

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
His tenure at AMD/RTG has been charade while he was moonlighting at Intel.

Raja is now going to go work full time for his true master at Intel.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
His tenure at AMD/RTG has been charade while he was moonlighting at Intel.

Raja is now going to go work full time for his true master at Intel.
Well <redacted> shock.
I thought he would go unemployed.

Profanity is not allowed in the technical forums
Markfw
Anandtech Moderato
r

Last edited by a moderator:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
lol.. krumme you best edit that.. Before you know who see's it.. ;)

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
From the Intel PR:
"Intel today announced the appointment of Raja Koduri as Intel chief architect, senior vice president of the newly formed Core and Visual Computing Group, and general manager of a new initiative to drive edge computing solutions. In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments."

Two ways to interpret that.

A) Intel is going to build it's own discrete GPU parts.
B) Intel is going to adopt more AMD parts, and become dependent on AMD.

I am betting on A).

The current EMIB Radeon part is just a proof of concept before Intel gets its own discrete GPU parts ready.

Reactions: sirmo

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Very interesting development indeed. If I were Nvidia I'd be worried.

Reactions: ZGR

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Ryan really gained a lot of credibility from that last rumor. I have to admit, I thought he was full of it too... but clearly he does have some good sources at intel.

I don't know what to make of this. Rumors I heard was that Raja was tossed out of AMD because of Vega's poor performance relative to Pascal. I didn't really understand that, given that Vega was released on an inferior process and likely would've competed well with Pascal if it had been on the same TSMC 16nm process. Is this his way of getting revenge? Usually when you sign a contract with a company like AMD or Intel you cannot just jump ship to their competitor, so perhaps the rumors about Raja were wrong and this was planned from the start.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Ryan really gained a lot of credibility from that last rumor. I have to admit, I thought he was full of it too... but clearly he does have some good sources at intel.

I don't know what to make of this. Rumors I heard was that Raja was tossed out of AMD because of Vega's poor performance relative to Pascal. I didn't really understand that, given that Vega was released on an inferior process and likely would've competed well with Pascal if it had been on the same TSMC 16nm process. Is this his way of getting revenge? Usually when you sign a contract with a company like AMD or Intel you cannot just jump ship to their competitor, so perhaps the rumors about Raja were wrong and this was planned from the start.
Vega's launch was horrendous. It was delayed, overhyped (poor Volta), Raja's didn't even deliver the final presentation Lisa had to step up and do it, the drivers still don't have all the features enabled.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Vega GPU.. it's actually not bad at all, but the PR was terrible and that's all on Raja. He failed to manage expectations and hurt AMD's image in the process.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Very interesting development indeed. If I were Nvidia I'd be worried.

Yeah, both AMD and Intel with powerful APU/IGP/dGPU that are getting more tightly integrated with the CPU is NVidia's worse nightmare.

If both AMD an Intel have "Good Enough" IGP/APU integrated in the dies for most average laptops.

And both also have dGPUs that they can do tight integration like EMIB/Interposer that can deliver next level performance, with superior packaging, to cover most of the rest of laptop buyers.

Then NVidia is pushed out of mainstream laptops, and even medium power gamer laptops (most of the market) and into niche "hardcore gamer laptops" with GTX 1070+ chips.

Ouch.

Reactions: sirmo

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
From the Intel PR:
"Intel today announced the appointment of Raja Koduri as Intel chief architect, senior vice president of the newly formed Core and Visual Computing Group, and general manager of a new initiative to drive edge computing solutions. In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments."

Two ways to interpret that.

A) Intel is going to build it's own discrete GPU parts.
B) Intel is going to adopt more AMD parts, and become dependent on AMD.

I am betting on A).

The current EMIB Radeon part is just a proof of concept before Intel gets its own discrete GPU parts ready.
I thought one of the problems Intel had was the lack of enough graphics IP? How is Raja going to solve that problem by himself in a couple years?

There must be more to this or else we're looking at a slew of lawsuits incoming.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I thought one of the problems Intel had was the lack of enough graphics IP? How is Raja going to solve that problem by himself in a couple years?

People keep repeating that but it is completely wrong. Intel has a PERPETUAL license to all NVidia GPU patents filed until March 2017.

http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810
"The term of the patent cross license agreement continues until the expiration of the last to expire of the licensed patents"

NVidia arguably has the biggest/best GPU patent library, and Intel essentially has all of it under perpetual license, graphics IP is a total non issue for Intel.

Reactions: CHADBOGA
Aug 11, 2008
If you can't beat them, hire them away?? Seems a strange hire though, considering how poorly AMDs gpu division has been performing and Intel's failure at building discrete gpus before. Ultimately I assume they want to get into the lucrative compute business. If successful, it could help keep margins high now that they have more competition in cpus and servers. Really seems like they are late to the party though.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
People keep repeating that but it is completely wrong. Intel has a PERPETUAL license to all NVidia GPU patents filed until March 2017.

http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810
"The term of the patent cross license agreement continues until the expiration of the last to expire of the licensed patents"

NVidia arguably has the biggest/best GPU patent library, and Intel essentially has all of it under perpetual license, graphics IP is a total non issue for Intel.
So INTEL is stuck with pre 2017 tech going forward? Way to go on advancing the state of the art.

What if someone had all the IP up to 2014, 3 yrs ago. Will they be competitive next year?

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
So INTEL is stuck with pre 2017 tech going forward? Way to go on advancing the state of the art.

What if someone had all the IP up to 2014, 3 yrs ago. Will they be competitive next year?
Remember, Intel has no qualms with breaking the law. They broke it initially and then paid the settlement. Now they have all the fundamental GPU patent licenses, what's a few more patents to them? Nothing literally.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Dayman1225

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Raja Koduri was a Trojan Horse, he was working for intel this whole while sabotaging amd from within.
He was indeed the true Evil Within.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017

This pretty much shows those opinions were completely wrong.

Clearly it was him who decided to switch jobs, Intel offering bigger challenge, pay and whatever. AMD would probably have loved to keep him.
And it also likely shows that Intel considers his skills and talent top notch if they decided to poach exactly him, to head such an ambitious play.

Reactions: Arachnotronic
Mar 10, 2006
This pretty much shows those opinions were completely wrong.

Clearly it was him who decided to switch jobs, Intel offering bigger challenge, pay and whatever. AMD would probably have loved to keep him.
And it also likely shows that Intel considers his skills and talent top notch if they decided to poach exactly him, to head such an ambitious play.

Raja has a big challenge ahead of him, but if he succeeds at this very difficult task, then he will have capped off his career with the knowledge of having literally reshaped the computing landscape.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
didn't Intel fire a lot of their IGP people like last year?

Yeah to prepare poaching Rajas favorite guys from AMD. These deals don't happen in weeks so Intel planned ahead and yes that means Raja also knew this already back then.