I JUST BOUGHT A NEW CAR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kay0909

Jan 27, 2002

<< i should be getting it the first week of march.

>>

Coinsidence? im getting a gf4 ti4600 for 179.99 the first week of march :cool:

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
manual? wtf is manual.... i only do auto 4x4 so it is the larger engine

Uhhh.......you can only get 4x4 with the smaller engine.

ANyways.....nice car though...

SniperWulf

Golden Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm going to pick up my new car today too. 2002 Maxima SE fully loaded w/o Nav system. Love that 6-speed tranny!! :D

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I saw the Matrix at the '02 Int'l auto show and it looked nice... that frontal pic you supplied makes it look like ass though. i dunno why, but it looks awful in that picture!!! I'm going to trade in my 2k1 and get a 2k3 Sentra SE-R spec-V soon I think. :D

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
I like it alot. I saw it at the car show last weekend. It is amazingly comfortable inside, and I really like the looks. If only I had money :(

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Guess I'm just getting too old, but I don't understand this craze of moving to smaller cars with itty bitty engines, even if you can spend a small fortune and upgrade them. You traded a RAV4 for that?!? Matrix, Focus, GTI, Civic, they all look the same to me. Basically, an entry-level car, enough for transportation to your first job until you make enough to get a -real- vehicle capable of carrying 4 adults in comfort, or at least 2 people without rattling out your fillings and shaking the thing apart when you go over railroad tracks.

Looking at the web site it lists all models with a 1.8-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder. So, you can get a 'big' 1.8L engine or a 'little' 1.8L engine. It's still only 1.8L.

Oh, boy! And it looks like a ricer. Wheee. Throw some ground effects, shiny rims, and a loud stereo in there and you can pretend that you're 16 again. Chicks dig it. Well, until they graduate, anyways.

Sorry, Guyver. I'm glad that you're happy with your decision, just looks like you're moving in the wrong direction to me. 18K on your trade-in sounds like you did pretty good. Hope you're happy with the Matrix.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

<< Couldn't stand your dusty old 2001 vehicle, eh? Man, you kids today with your short attention spans... :p >>

I'm just thinking about the contrast here since the last vehicle I bought is 26 years old. (6 years and 5 months older than me.) Enjoy the new car though. Great trade-in on the old car.

ZV

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Zenmervolt, we're all aware by now that you are lucky enough to already have what is essentially your dream car even though you are only 19. Now stop rubbing it in!!! :|

:p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

<< Basically, an entry-level car, enough for transportation to your first job until you make enough to get a -real- vehicle capable of carrying 4 adults in comfort, or at least 2 people without rattling out your fillings and shaking the thing apart when you go over railroad tracks. >>

:sigh:

You and Ornery will probably never understand. 99% of the time most of us who purchase cars in these classes only have 1 occupant in the car at any given time. Another .7% of the time it's two people, and .3% of the time it's one person.

When tooling around the town, or driving on the way to work, I DON'T NEED a 5.7 liter V8 breathing under the hood getting me a measly 20(if I'm lucky) miles to the gallon. I also don't need a car that reqires a tug boat and a full crew of deck hands to help me parallel park the damn thing. I also would like a car that has a turning radius less than 40 feet.

With cars like civics, the matrix, and the ford focuses, I get nearly 30MPG IN TOWN, the ability to fit into even the tightest parking spots, a fairly cheap car that I really don't care *that much about* when it gets the unescapeable parking lot dings and dents. On top of it all, I have the versatility of a hatchback that allows me to shove a 27" TV IN BOX into the back of it among various other awkward things. Try shoving a 17" monitor IN BOX into the back of your 4 door people hauler. Can't do it. I can though.

It's all about practicality honestly.

Besides, with the gas money I save, I can have a weekend car or another car that I do use for hauling a group of four for an extended period of time.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
<<I just got a new car today, too. A 2002 Altima>>

Congrats!

As for the Matrix.....I like the bluish color Matrix used in the commercials...
Style-wise, it looks better than the Pontiac Vibe.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
<<Hmmm... never heard Toyota matrix before, is this their first year ? >>

Yep. Toyota developed this car along with GM. GM's version is called the Vibe. They will be made at the same plant.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001

<< You and Ornery will probably never understand. 99% of the time most of us who purchase cars in these classes only have 1 occupant in the car at any given time. Another .7% of the time it's two people, and .3% of the time it's one person.

When tooling around the town, or driving on the way to work, I DON'T NEED a 5.7 liter V8 breathing under the hood getting me a measly 20(if I'm lucky) miles to the gallon. I also don't need a car that reqires a tug boat and a full crew of deck hands to help me parallel park the damn thing. I also would like a car that has a turning radius less than 40 feet.

With cars like civics, the matrix, and the ford focuses, I get nearly 30MPG IN TOWN, the ability to fit into even the tightest parking spots, a fairly cheap car that I really don't care *that much about* when it gets the unescapeable parking lot dings and dents. On top of it all, I have the versatility of a hatchback that allows me to shove a 27" TV IN BOX into the back of it among various other awkward things. Try shoving a 17" monitor IN BOX into the back of your 4 door people hauler. Can't do it. I can though.

It's all about practicality honestly.

Besides, with the gas money I save, I can have a weekend car or another car that I do use for hauling a group of four for an extended period of time.
>>

I'll try to address each of your concerns as they apply to my 83 K5 Blazer

Comparing MPG and cost per gallon, the 6.2L diesel has you beat.
The wheelbase is close to the 'Matrix', and will turn well within 40'
I can put it into just about any parking place, and make my own if necessary
It surely costs less than any of the cars described above, and I couldn't care less about any dings & dents. They add character.
I can carry 4 adults, 2 - 27" TV boxes in the back, tow your hatchback, and still get 20mpg.

It's all about practicality, honestly. :)

Compared to your vehicle, I won't even tell you how many other vehicles I can afford to get for any other 'specialized' purpose that I can justify to myself in order to buy more toys...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
sigh. I need a car. It's valentines day, and my girlfriend lives 236.7 miles away.

Anybody have any volkswagen beetles they'd like to donate to the cause? ;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
BooneRebel, In all due respect, let's compare apples to apples here. Comparing a 19 year old vehicle to a brand new one isn't exactly fair for a "value" comparison. A 19 year old vechicle, regardless of body style will almost always win over a brand new one when it comes to monthly costs. I cannot refute that. But, to put things in perspecitve, for me to even get into a *new* vehicle with a comparable engine as to what your vehicle has would cost me EASILY twice the amount what a compact car costs.

But for your other points - I used to run around in a '78 Chevy Blazer, much similar to yours. Only that mine was a gasoline engine. I can say from experience, as well as stats based upon the early '90's Full Size blazers that the turning radius on the full size blazers was in excess of 40, nearly 42 feet to be more specific. Trying to navigate a vehicle with that turning radius is a far cry from "fun".

Also, as for the cost per mpg, I'd like to see your math there. I would find it VERY VERY hard to believe that your diesel would even come remotely close to 15 MPG in town. On the highway once you got up to speed, yes you may get respectable milage, and I use the word respectable loosely, but anything even remotely close to the in town and highway milage that of a civic/focus/matrix would be nothing short of a wet dream. And another thing to add, here in in Iowa anyway, diesel fuel is running about $.15 MORE a gallon than gasoline. Last summer it was nearly $.50 more a gallon. I fail to see how you come out ahead when you not only consume more fuel than I, but your's also costs more to purchase. I also need to point out that the nearest gas station that sells diesel is over 10 miles from my house. Not exactly the most convenient.

As for comfort...well the vynil right angle bench with the polyfill stuffing in the back of the old blazers is what I call a far cry from "comfort" :)

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Well, I realize we're getting off the topic of the original thread, but hey, this is the Off Topic forum, right?

vi_edit, I realize we're not exactly comparing apples to apples, but your experiences in a Blazer (350 gas?) are going to be different than a Diesel. Yes, I do better than 15mpg in the city, usually closer to 17 but I have a heavy right foot; mileage jumps dramatically once I'm on the highway. I don't have the specs on it, but I have to believe that the turning radius beats the 90s Blazers because I can easily turn inside what my Jeep will do. And while actual fuel costs may be the similar to the new car, figure in maintenance and what you lose to interest and depreciation on a new vehicle and it will make you cry. While the vinyl seat might not float your boat, you still get better headroom and legroom. And personally, I think GM did a better job on the bucket seats than most of the new vehicles out there. They're certainly more comfortable than most of the newer seats that I've been in.

Like I said originally, I think the econoboxes have a place; I just feel it's more in line with high-school parking lots than being the second or third vehicle you purchase.