I just avoided getting my ass chewed off by the company CFO and possibly CEO

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: her209
I have no idea what you did. How the heck did you log in without logging her off?
I connected remotely using different tools like Computer Management, RegEdit, and Telnet.
How did you connect remotely to her computer through Computer Management?
Right-click on the top node and select Connect to another computer.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I have no idea what you did. How the heck did you log in without logging her off?
I connected remotely using different tools like Computer Management, RegEdit, and Telnet.
How did you connect remotely to her computer through Computer Management?
Right-click on the top node and select Connect to another computer.
Hmm...didn't even know that existed.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
if it's excel doesn't office do an auto save if you randomly reboot your computer?

the new one will say recovered files, and let you pick the version...

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah new versions of office do autosave regularly, but I don't know how reliable they are.

At work, I don't let anyone touch my machine until I've saved all my work, and I've made a backup copy onto a remote machine.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: notfred
So, she would have lost 4 hours of work. How long did you spend trying to fix it? You probably saved one or two hours in the end.

Let me guess, you work for the government?

8 Hours of IT time < 1 Hour of accounting time (at the end of the quarter).

4 hours is 4 hours. If a deadline is approaching and you suddenly lose 4 hours of work, the worst case scenario is that you stay for 4 extra hours of overtime to finish it. That must be one hell of a tiny company if the CEO is going to come down and yell at the IT guy because of a problem that cost his company an extra $200. Unless "CEO" actually means "owner" of a place with 25 employees, it's not worth e CEO's time to yell at people over $200.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Confused
Great save, BUT you should never have got yourself in that situation in the first place.

Ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking!
QFT!!!

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
4 hours is 4 hours. If a deadline is approaching and you suddenly lose 4 hours of work, the worst case scenario is that you stay for 4 extra hours of overtime to finish it. That must be one hell of a tiny company if the CEO is going to come down and yell at the IT guy because of a problem that cost his company an extra $200. Unless "CEO" actually means "owner" of a place with 25 employees, it's not worth e CEO's time to yell at people over $200.

I knew you worked for the government when I made the comment but I see that the government thinking has overpowered your senses. An accounting deadline like end of the quarter isn't something that just "costs some overtime". For example if he hadn't recovered the work it would have had to be redone, pushing back all the other work that would need to be done by those four hours. Given that the accounting departments usually put in mucho overtime at the quarter end anyway there likely wouldn't be extra time to redo the work and it's very possible that a deadline could be missed. You miss that deadline and BAD things happen in the private sector. People lose the jobs over stuff like the OP posted about.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
GREAT save. I would've rebooted it, ran and hid in the bathroom for the rest of my shift. Of course, I never would've gotten into that situation in the first place.

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Yossarian
you've been in IT how long and you don't have people save before you even touch their machine?

Yeah that's one of those thing in the IT world you learn real fast once you start a job for the first time. I know I did, now before I even get to the machine I call ahead to say "save all your work, and then log out of the machine."

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the thread....I honestly never knew you could edit a Registry remotely.

"" 1. Run REGEDIT on your XP workstation or on your Windows 2000/2003 Server.
2. Click on File, then choose "Connect Network Registry".
""

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Thanks for the thread....I honestly never knew you could edit a Registry remotely.

"" 1. Run REGEDIT on your XP workstation or on your Windows 2000/2003 Server.
2. Click on File, then choose "Connect Network Registry".
""

My coworker and I play let's see who can hack each others pc's the best. We basically try to secure our pc's the best we can without using any third party software to protect them (only the resources available within Microsoft OS's). That is a fun little trick I learned some time ago, connect network registry tool, pretty nice little feature.

Edit:by the way this is work related, it's a way for us to secure some things better on our network and insure our security within the company.