I just avoided getting my ass chewed off by the company CFO and possibly CEO

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Good job :)

ALWAYS save work before ANYTHING.

Koing

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
I can't log in as another user because it'll automatically log off the currently logged in user. So I go back to the Computer Management tool, and add the username to the local Adminstrators group. Connect using Remote Desktop again. BAM! SUCCESS!
Pfft, that's what I'd a tried first. :p (j/k! good job!)

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Yossarian
you've been in IT how long and you don't have people save before you even touch their machine?

Yeah, no kidding.

Anyway, good job. Nice workarounds and good on the toes thinking.

Nebben

May 20, 2004
Uh, why not just press CTRL+S or whatever the save shortcut is for said program?

...or I guess you could try 50 different things to get remotely connected to the system. :)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebben
Uh, why not just press CTRL+S or whatever the save shortcut is for said program?
Because the computer was locked.

Nebben

May 20, 2004

Okay...

So why not just type in the password and unlock it and then do the above?

Unless I'm misunderstanding and the user of the computer wasn't there or something...

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
dameware...check into it... :D

also, you could've saved a bunch of steps by giving her ID local admin through remote mmc 1st :p

last but not least, you could've bypassed all this, by having a proper GPO set up in the 1st place :p ;)

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001

Okay...

Unless I'm misunderstanding and the user of the computer wasn't there or something...

:thumbsup:

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

Okay...

It's hard to guarantee that you saved stuff if you don't have a monitor to see what you just did. Maybe the program was not in focus....

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Kinda careless there, no? I only plug/unplug devices with the computer on with my own machine. Everyone else I tell to shutdown first. Well, clever save. I probably would have never thought of that.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I have no idea what you did. How the heck did you log in without logging her off?
I connected remotely using different tools like Computer Management, RegEdit, and Telnet.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Okay...

How do you know if you are saving anything?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I have no idea what you did. How the heck did you log in without logging her off?
I connected remotely using different tools like Computer Management, RegEdit, and Telnet.

How did you connect remotely to her computer through Computer Management?