I just ate a Chinese lunchbox that's left in a room

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Sh!t I was going to throw it away, but it looked so damn tasty.
I just devoured the whole thing.

When will the bacteria start doing their job?

crap, I can't type already, I think it's the food poisoning.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You may be ok, but rice is one of the #1 reasons for food poisioning.

Did you heat it up at least? Heat might not kill toxins in there, but it will kill germs.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
was it a plastic lunchbox, or just one of those paper take out things with the metal wire handle?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The person whose "lunch" you stole obviously has had their lunch stolen before, so they spiked this one with salmonella obviously. Have fun with the violent diarrhea.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard
You may be ok, but rice is one of the #1 reasons for food poisioning.

Did you heat it up at least? Heat might not kill toxins in there, but it will kill germs.

one of the #1 reasons? :confused: :D

actually b. cereus, the reason for rice food poisoning, is not really all that common.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
it was leftover from the night before containing rice, greenbeans and pork.

The office had air conditioning, so I think it would be ok? But I brought it with me to take subway and bus to there, which is about 2 hours total in the outside environment. This is Hong Kong, hot and humid, I think I am el fvcked.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: dethman
actually b. cereus, the reason for rice food poisoning, is not really all that common.
Food poisoning from rice always makes the lists for common food poisoning causes. It never makes it into the "other categories". First of many Google links.

Rice is common. Old rice which is not heated back up is common. Thus the result that poisoning from rice is common. One thing that I don't know is can rice help breed organisms from the meat that it often touches in old lunchboxes?

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
You ate pork that had been sitting out for 10hrs in a moist medium? Cya, I want your stuff.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
bleah!

I remember a friend of mine once forgot the Chinese take-out box in his car for a full day, in August... when we opened the car's doors we nearly fainted.... the stench wouldn't leave the car for weeks!

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
We leave food overnight on the dinner table all the time and we never get sick. But I am weary about eating out especially late in the evening so I normally eat something stir-fry or something hot in soup/broth/congee.

Just don't eat any raw packaged spinach here in the states.