I installed Ubuntu onto my desktop and I have horrid overscan

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I have an 8800 gt connected by to my Samsung DLP. I have it hooked up with a HDMI cable, and it doesn't compensate for overscan. This is an apparent failing of the card itself, but regardless I'm not happy with nVidia for being so short sighted.

What are some options that actually work?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
I have an 8800 gt connected by to my Samsung DLP. I have it hooked up with a HDMI cable, and it doesn't compensate for overscan. This is an apparent failing of the card itself, but regardless I'm not happy with nVidia for being so short sighted.

My 8800GT was able to compensate for Overscan in Nvidia Control Panel in both Windows XP and Vista.

Is your TV set up correctly? Overscanning and underscanning can be an Aspect Ratio setting issue with the TV.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Elcs

My 8800GT was able to compensate for Overscan in Nvidia Control Panel in both Windows XP and Vista.

Is your TV set up correctly? Overscanning and underscanning can be an Aspect Ratio setting issue with the TV.

Part of the problem is that televisions have limited adjustments compared to standard monitors. I know I can fix things if I were in windows, or at least work around it. That's not the case in linux, or if there is a fix I can't find it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Elcs

Part of the problem is that televisions have limited adjustments compared to standard monitors. I know I can fix things if I were in windows, or at least work around it. That's not the case in linux, or if there is a fix I can't find it.

The overscanning issue I had on Component with both my 7600GT and 8800GT were due to my TV's aspect ration set to auto. It should have been set to 16:9.

My HD4870 underscans slightly on DVI to HDMI.

You need to ezplore your options and if Ubuntu doesnt allow you to solve it PC-side, you need to look at any options in your TV that may fix it or fiddle around a little.

One option that may be possible is to hook up your TV via VGA if you have a VGA port and use the second port for your HDMI cable. Using VGA to help you navigate Ubuntu properly then applying settings to your HDMI display until you get it right. Im a 100% Windows user so I am lost beyond this.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
nvidia's drivers suck for hdmi devices.

i have an hdmi monitor (LG 246wp) and with an nvidia card like a 9600 GT even it has overscan in windows.

its an nvidia problem, if your TV has an analog VGA in, plug it into the nvidia card and it will look fine. its only an HDMI problem that nvidia has never fixed.