I imagine that this is what hell looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
This is ridiculous. People KNOW a fire is coming. Fires like these don't just spring up in a matter of minutes. WHY would they wait until the fire is engulfing them before leaving?

People are stupid.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This is ridiculous. People KNOW a fire is coming. Fires like these don't just spring up in a matter of minutes. WHY would they wait until the fire is engulfing them before leaving?

People are stupid.
Forest fires can move pretty quickly. I'd imagine that it's fairly easy to get cut off by one if the wind changes.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

People are stupid.

Could it be the fire fighters?

Just think, that's what earth will look like in oh, what? 5 billion years?

Feb 6, 2007
My wife watched the Republican Presidential Debate on CNN tonight. I know what hell is. I'd gladly jump into a forest fire rather than watch Mike Huckabee bumblefuck his way through bullshit talking points again.

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

People are stupid.

Why would they build houses out of easily flammable material with lots of trees in and around their property? No tile roofs? No defensible space? Why yes, people are stupid.

-KeithP

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's crazy, and if you try to stop and turn around the car it could maybe flash over, just have to keep going so the air flow keeps the car relatively cool, and hope you don't hit a patch of smoke that blocks your view of the road, or some falen trees etc. I'd be worried the tires blow too. Maybe it would be safer to attempt turning around after all but have to be quick.

Though I don't get why they would not have turned around before it got that bad. That fire actually looks rather tame compared to what it could be if there was more wind. Still scary as hell though, just think of how hot a camp fire can be and this is like a camp fire x1000.

Still eerie driving by where there was a fire near my city years back. All the trees are black, it's like driving through death. Though it probably looks cool in winter, I'd have to go by some time and take pictures.

Last edited:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
My wife watched the Republican Presidential Debate on CNN tonight. I know what hell is. I'd gladly jump into a forest fire rather than watch Mike Huckabee bumblefuck his way through bullshit talking points again.
But you still had the option to make the torment stop, whether it be by simply leaving the room, or by filling your mouth with saltwater before jamming live 120V wires down your screaming throat.

In a good and proper hell, you would be trapped there, forced to watch that. With 120V wires down your throat. And no ability to pass out or die.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
A drought that dendrochronology says hasn't happened in over 500 years is why people build house and communities where this fire is; wet forests don't burn like that and a fire in normal conditions would be major if it consumed five acres. Are they fools for not realizing that it had been a drought for several years and this year was worse; Those that did nothing to make their homes defensible are stupid. But I'm not sure you could predict such high dry winds and unusually hot for fall weather. Those fires not only move fast they jump sometimes several miles. A fire like that kills the wildlife but not the forest as it move so fast some trees will survive and like the day the sun went out in New England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England%27s_Dark_Day

A couple centuries ago (1780) and no one had a clue why for 200 or so years. A big chunk of Ontario burned. Unusual events sometimes make the survivors look like fools (Pompeii) These survivors driving the car are victims of unusual events; The last time this kind of conditions happened was before a European got within 1,000 miles of there.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

People are stupid.

yes you are stupid and you have no idea how fast a fire can move

Status
Not open for further replies.