I honestly do not know.. Has the West and USA ever really done anything good for the Middle East - to outweigh the bad

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I can see the things I think were bad

But what good have we done for them and why should they hope for anything less than our failure?

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
We got the Soviets out of Afghanistan. Well, we gave them weapons to fight off the soviets.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: l0cke
We got the Soviets out of Afghanistan. Well, we gave them weapons to fight off the soviets.

Yeah, but it is so unimaginably tragic that we screwed the pooch when it came to reconstruction investment after the war.

:(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
we buy their oil, that seems like a lot.

also, we prevented saddam hussain from taking over the persian gulf.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481

The whole world buys their oil, not just the West and U.S.

Your second point has become moot, sadly.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We've liberated 100,000+ Iraqis from breathing.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Uh.. do you think they NEED us to buy their oil? Like... they don't have anyone else who would buy it :)

Didn't we also increase Saddams power in the region and kill 1000's and 1000's of Iranians and Iraqis by proxy when we kept our Military Industrial Complex growing and growing selling weapons to both sides of a war?

can you think of anything else?

ShinGouki

Jan 23, 2003
"We got the Soviets out of Afghanistan. Well, we gave them weapons to fight off the soviets. "

I think Afghanistan is considered to be more within Central Asia rather than the Middle East, though it does border it and could be seen as part of the greater Middle East in some definitions. Would you also include Pakistan by this definition though? I guess you'd then also have to include the

Just asking since it has implications on the original question, are you referring mainly to the countries of the Arabian peninsula or are we including North Africa + The Persian Plateau.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: punchkin
Originally posted by: jpeyton

... and saved the lives of countless more from genocide.

looks like we did a really good job of that .. eh?

do you add abu-ghraib into that and the destruction of their economy and their schools and such

do you also include that we helped bring Saddam to power ? and helped him become so powerful?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Besides helping bringing many of them out of the stone ages?....

But I'd like to know when the OP starts the history of the "west" and middle east.

So you think British colonialism was something your God approved of?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Surely you mean to say "also, we prevented saddam hussain from taking over the persian gulf with the weapons we supplied him in the first place"?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: punchkin
Originally posted by: jpeyton

... and saved the lives of countless more from genocide.
Sectarian violence doesn't qualify as genocide to you?

ShinGouki

Jan 23, 2003
"So you think British colonialism was something your God approved of?"

Why stop there, not heard of the Crusades? :).

EDIT -- Do the Romans count as "The West" could go even further....

gentobu

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2001
I honestly do not know.. Has the West and USA ever really done anything good for the Middle East - to outweigh the bad

Oh please. It's clear from your responses in this thread that you already know the answer to your question, and have formed an opinion. You started this thread so you could make sarcastic, un-witty comments to anyone who tried to answer your "question".

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Educate yourself to the number of empires that have conquered the middle east.
link

THE OP should also read about Lawrence of Arabia and the arab revolt that allowed the arabs freedom from the Ottoman turks that ruled them at the time.

The difference between the west and all the other countries and empires that had invaded the middle east? We set them free.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007

Dude, we are talking about what the west did for the middle east, not the other way around.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: gentobu

Oh please. It's clear from your responses in this thread that you already know the answer to your question, and have formed an opinion. You started this thread so you could make sarcastic, un-witty comments to anyone who tried to answer your "question".

Straight up.. I made it known that I think we haven't done much of anything BENEVOLENT for them

I want to know... HAVE WE... sounds like you can enlighten me

Gulf 1 was not for the ME.. it was for our MIC

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

BWAHAHA...riiight. Stop making things up. He invaded Kuwait and we went to war ~ but he didn't invade, nor had any intention of invading anyone else. The most we got was claims by the US army that soldiers were massed at the border, but we never saw released satellite photos.

The reality was that we didn't want one country controlling such a huge chunk of oil

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Educate yourself to the number of empires that have conquered the middle east.
link

THE OP should also read about Lawrence of Arabia and the arab revolt that allowed the arabs freedom from the Ottoman turks that ruled them at the time.

The difference between the west and all the other countries and empires that had invaded the middle east? We set them free.

The Euros broke them into fragmented countries, and then colonized them after WW1 against their own will, as well as breaking promises. All those dates of "independence" isn't some romanticized benevolent "western nations" granting independence because they believed in freedom. It was a because they couldn't control the area (as a colony) plain and simple. The string of post WW2 independence dates should be proof of that because many European nations couldn't simply control it. In cases like Algeria, the "enlightened French" fought a bloody war of being an occupier before they gave up.

We (USA) promised to aid and support the Saudi Regime and keep them in power in exchange of oil; we all know the "Freedoms" of Saudi Arabia, right?

I have no idea how the fuck you think "we gave them freedom"...some convoluted twisted bullshit.

The Mid East doesn't owe us anything, nor do we owe them anything. That said, a lot of our actions towards the middle east hasn't fostered good will, and we reap what we soe

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dahunan

But I'd like to know when the OP starts the history of the "west" and middle east.

So you think British colonialism was something your God approved of?

Answer the question so I know where you are starting from.