I highly recommend this tripod, especially for longer lenses....

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If you need a good, stable tripod, look no further than this one....

I was using a hundred dollar carbon fiber tripod which I thought was decent but I had a little wobble with a 200-600 lens on it...I just got this one and the difference is incredible...rated to 88 lbs....there are lot of videos on youtube, including ones where rifles are attached to this thing...

This tripod which is $357 is often compared with other ones that cost around $800-1000...

Many of the tripods out there have an extendable center column which will definitely add some wobble to your setup so if you want stability with your camera, avoid those...this one doesn't come with one but one can be bought as an accessory...

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yep, can't beat these bowl type 'pods. I use something similar for hanging my 600mm on. Fast stable leveling. The only other accessories I use with this type 'pod are gimbal heads and anti-vibe pads used on telescopes configured for astrophotography.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I may have to try that. I find I rarely use my 1600mm lens since it's just too wobbly on a regular tripod so it's hard to get a good shot of anything with it. Wonder if this one would be more stable.

How is adjusting it, does it make it easy to do very fine adjustments?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I may have to try that. I find I rarely use my 1600mm lens since it's just too wobbly on a regular tripod so it's hard to get a good shot of anything with it. Wonder if this one would be more stable.

I assume a lens that big has a threaded hole for a tripod mount?

What about supporting your camera with a tripod and then lens with a monopod? Assuming you are looking at a fixed object and not trying to track something...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah the lens itself is what screws into the tripod. Still wobbles a lot though. One trick I have found is to use two tripods, one on camera and one on lens, but it's a pain trying to aim it lol.

I sometimes think of just getting a telescope with DSLR mount, telescopes tend to have much better tripod and mounting systems, and often also are easier to fine tune.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

it has the collar adjustments at each section so it should be pretty easy to fine tune it to your needs...I put some tape at the top section to mark off the height I use and then do any fine tuning on my gimbal head...

I think you would be really happy with this tripod...i would be willing to be your wobble issues will be non-existent once you try it.

20230120_183855A.jpg