I heard farmers keep donkeys to ward off coyotes?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
I think I'd use a shotgun to ward off any coyotes, or maybe a guard dog of some kind.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
How does that work? :confused:

It seems more likely that the donkeys would just keep the coyotes full, so they didn't attack the important livestock.. lol

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Damn do I love Google :D

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/nuisance/coyotes.htm

Donkeys

Donkeys are gaining popularity as protectors of sheep. This popularity may be based in part on the notion that little more than purchasing an animal and dumping it in a pasture is involved. Donkeys have an inherent dislike for dogs and presumably coyotes. Donkeys will bray, bare teeth, and make running attacks, kicking and biting. Reported success of donkeys for predator control appears highly variable. A Texas survey reports some owners have success but at least as many do not. Sheep growers in Central Nova Scotia who have donkeys have divided opinions on their effectiveness. Donkeys can cost more to buy than guard dogs.

On the plus side, donkeys have a longer life span and are cheaper to feed than guard dogs. Donkeys are less apt to be injured by foot-hold traps and snares set for coyote control.

Advice from United States studies are:

1) Guard donkeys should be medium-to-large size stock, not miniatures.

2) Use jennies and geldings. Do not use jacks (males) as guard animals, because they are aggressive and will injure livestock.

3) Test a new donkey's guarding response by challenging the donkey with a dog in a corral or small pasture. Be prepared to reject non-aggressive donkeys.

4) Use only one donkey or jenny and foal per pasture. When two or more adult donkeys are together, or with a horse, they usually seek company together instead of staying with the sheep. Avoid placing donkeys in adjacent pastures.

5) Use donkeys in small, open pastures with smaller flocks of sheep. A guard dog can cross wooden gates and patrol several fields, but a donkey cannot. Large pastures with rough terrain and vegetation and widely scattered livestock, lessen the effectiveness of a donkey.

6) Avoid feeds containing anabolic agents like monensin (Rumensin) and lasolacid (Bovatec), as these are poisonous to donkeys. Donkeys may founder if they eat a lot of prepared sheep feed.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Sheep growers in Central Nova Scotia who have donkeys have divided opinions on their effectiveness

Sheep growers? How does one grow sheep? :confused:
"Grow" in Nova Scotian means "fck" in english, translators never get that one right :evil: