I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend...

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
First off... Pics

Union Pacific's Challenger passed in front of my house today on the way down to Houston for the Super Bowl.

This is what the local news had to say about it...

JONESBORO, AR - The world's largest operating steam engine has completed its pass through Region 8. After a brief rendezvous with a K8 News crew, the giant old engine pulled out of Fair Oaks at 1:20 this afternoon, making its way south.

After spending last night in the Missouri Bootheel, Union Pacific's Challenger #3985 crossed the state line into Arkansas this morning. The train made a brief stop in Paragould, before making it's way on through Greene County and into Craighead County. It was delayed for nearly an hour in Brookland to let other rail traffic pass ahead, and then rolled through Jonesboro around noon. Hundreds of Craighead and Greene County residents gathered along the tracks to get a first hand look at the unique train.

The 61-year-old engine is on its way to Houston, Texas, where it will participate in Super Bowl XXXVIII festivities next week. K8 News will have a full report on the train's pass through Region 8 tonight at 6.

BTW, Brookland is where I live. Pretty cool seeing a bit of history rolling by.