danhsmile042

Jun 7, 2018
I have the following setup:

I7-4790K
Asus Maximus Impact VII Motherboard
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Geforce GTX 970
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD

Just wondering if i should even consider any upgrade at this point? My needs are video encoding, video content creation, standard stuff (i.e.: email, web, etc..), and no gaming (no time anymore, but when this machine was built I did, LOL)

I cant see going to a Skylake Platform as I think it is more of a lateral move. Perhaps an X99 setup? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Intel's "Skylake" CPUs are 2 generations old now. Admittedly the architecture hasn't changed, but you would be looking at Coffee Lake (successor to Kay Lake). X99 is Skylake, and is pretty dated at this point - you can actually get faster CPUs on Intel's mainstream chipset.

AMD's socket AM4 socket offers CPUs clocked a hair lower than what you have, with similar IPC, but with twice as many cores. Intel's socket 1151 offers CPUs clocked a bit higher and with slightly better IPC, and 50% more cores. As stated above, I would not bother with Intel's HEDT. AMD's might be worth considering - TR4 has 16 core CPUs, and 32 core models were just announced.

Not all video encoding is infinitely parallel. For those tasks that are, AMD's 8+ core chips would serve you best. For those that aren't, Intel's better instruction setts, higher clocks and higher IPC will serve you best.

Read Anandtech's review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11859/the-anandtech-coffee-lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers

Encoding (not infinitely parallel):

Rendering (more parallel):

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Wait until Intel releases their 8c mainstream CPU, AFAIK it's coming in the second half of this year. At that point reevaluate your options, including enthusiast platforms.

ASK THE COMMUNITY