I have seen the light! Or maybe that's LED...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I went to Office Depot in search of another 6' folding table for my room. Didn't find that, but what I did find was a Logitech WheelMouse Optical. The metallic blue/silver one. Replaced my WheelMouse USB with it using the PS2 adapter. It rocks! I forgot just how much I liked a 200hz mouse, & the free movement of the optical mouse makes the old one feel constipated by comparison.

I will NEVER go back to a mechanical mouse.

Viper GTS

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
About time! :) I've had my intellimouse for about five months now, and using a 'ball mouse' again makes me cringe!

wjones

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2000
How much is the Logitech WheelMouse Optical? I saw it at staples for around $30.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
$29.99 for mine. I chose it over the Microsoft version 'cause I like the shape of Logitech mice much better than Microsoft.

Plus, the blue was pretty cool too.

;)

One thing I didn't like, though, was the installation. My computer was off, & I simply switched my old Logitech USB for this one (USB). I got BSOD's on boot up. So, I switched to the PS/2 adapter, booted into safe mode, pulled all five entries for USB mice, & then rebooted into normal mode. That worked, & now it's working perfectly. That's Microsoft's fault, though, not Logitech's.

Viper GTS

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I love my optical mouse too! What sucks is at work I have a mechanical mouse and lately I've been doing alot of detailed Photoshop work...what a pain in the ass! I don't know how I did 3 years of PS work with a mechanical mouse at home! Hmmm....looks like I'll be filling out a requisition form on Monday for an optical...:)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got the same blue and grey Logitech mouse and have really enjoyed not having to clean the mouse's ball anymore.

The only quibble I have with the Logitech I have is that the scroll wheel on the microsoft ones seems to be a little smoother. I like the shape and the way it fits my hand.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its the best, I have a Logitech Mouseman+ at home, the first mouse made with this look. Then I tried for a month the Intelieye Explorer from Microsoft, it sucks, the two thumb buttons are on a realy realy stupid place, and it just feels cheap, cheap plastic badly assembled. Anyway, I bought myself a Logitech Mouseman Wheel Optical at work to use with my work laptop, it simply rules. The buttons are not as good as on my own mouse at home but he feel of it is so good, feels solid.

If anyone is going to get a mouse then get that one.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Heh. I bought one about 2 months ago now. I took it to work to try it out. Work said "no personal equipment on you work computer." Fine. So they've now purchased about 50 of them.

A side beneift is that we rip the LED light and batt pack out of the display carton take the top off of the end of the cube rail and put the batt pack in there then attatch the LED (it has a little sticky pad on it) to the end of the rail. Looks REALLY cool at night with all the lights down low. I think we have about two rows down now. Looks like an airplane runway. :)

Oh yeah. I took that mouse home as they gave me one right off to use at work. Works fine in Linux using XFree86 3 and the IM/PS mouse protocol. :)

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I thougth the optical mouse was just an extravagence.. Till I used it. I will never go back to a wheeled mouse unless I **really** have to.

Gatsby