I have permission to buy a new PC !! Help !!!!

ColinP

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Guys,

the wife has signed the paperwork.........

What do you think of this:-

Really really want this...

IT's a lot of cash but is quality and should kick ass a SETI..

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Col

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Or you could always build yourself (or i'll build for you if u want, i work at computer shop in Bracknell) a dual Athlon XP/MP (probably more WUs/day for your money ;))

And you might be able to get a GF4 in there as well for approx the same price :)

For reference, i built my friend a 1700+, 256ddr, K7S5A, 40gb 7200rpm hdd, 48x cdrw, gf2mx-200 64mb for £360, so a dual XP/GF4 should quite easily come under that sorta price :)

Just a thought, just a thought....;)

ColinP

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I usually do build them myself, but this time I want to make sure I get a good stable high quality system. ( The wife blames any crashed etc on tham being "home brew").
Also, my wife is a teacher and may be able to get a good discount if we buy a pre-built machine (although not necessarily the Dell)....

But it's so tempting......

DELL quality
Dual Xeons
Black
Even comes with a ligit copy of W2K !!!!!!

All for the price of a Time or Tiny piece of s@!t .........

I need to have a sit down...

Col

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
Where I work, that is the "high end" workstation. We have a list of three Dells to pick from and the Precision 530 is top of the heap. We have had no problems with any of them. It has SCSI drives, Firewire, etc., and our "Video Guy" uses his as a video workstation. No problems. Like most Dells, they put a HUGE heat sink on each processor, mount a shroud over it, and the big, quiet fans on the back pull air across them. They survive RC5 24/7, no problems.

In October, I'll be replacing my current Dell with a 530. I hope it is just as good, because it will be a three year lease.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
yeap - dell workstations are nice. we have a couple at work as "servers." very stable pcs.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We've got a few similar models at work but they are all single CPU Xeon setups with Nvidia Quatro cards.

My only advice would be adding a better video card. All that CPU power and 32MB video? No, no, no. Must have a GF4! :)

Should really churn out the WU's though. :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ColinP
Guys,

the wife has signed the paperwork.........

What do you think of this:-

Really really want this...

IT's a lot of cash but is quality and should kick ass a SETI..

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Col
Wow, that's an awesome workstation. It would be great at SETI, and I doubt you could build something similar for a similar price. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
ColinP
Nice rig:), but pricey!
I guess the graphics card would be 1 of these?

Mainstream Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro2 EX® (32MB)
Multi-Monitor Graphics: ATI Radeon VE (32MB) (dual monitor capable)

(Isn't the Quadro2 based on the GTS2??)

I agree with Robor ,you want a better vid card if you want it gaming capable for at least a couple of years.
Also agree with Dave £/MHz you're better off with AMD.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
hmph...

£ Exc. VAT 995.00
£ Inc. VAT 1169.12

Any tax that adds 174.12 of any unit of currency on a sale sucks! This from a Canadian that lived in Quebec and had the privilege of paying federal and provincial sales taxes to the tune of 15.5%... that insult heaped on the 34% combined income tax I was paying to the two governments.... :|

Geoff

ColinP

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
The Tax sucks hey ????

I pay 40% tax on a lot of my wage, then we pay National insurance too.. End up with way less than 2/3 of my gross.....

I take in what you guys are saying about building it myself though....

I'll have a think about it..

thanks guys,

Col

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
ahhhh, i feel left out, how much is that in $$$$$?

how much does a dual cpu system cost? very tempting :D

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ColinP
I take in what you guys are saying about building it myself though....

I'll have a think about it..

My offer still stands Colin! :) I can get all the bits directly from work, and i get them at trade price. PM me with a spec and i'll price it up for you :)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: LyNx01
ahhhh, i feel left out, how much is that in $$$$$?

If i did it correctly 1169 pounds = about $1800. Sound about right to anyone else?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
See how the prices compare to Ebuyer & Micro Direct ,these I have found are 2 of the cheapest places with reasonable service (though Ebuyer can be slow to get things out!)
Don't even bother to look at Eclipse Computors ,their service is a joke:|:disgust:
Overclockers.co.uk are worth a look too.