I have money but there is nothing I really want. Is this just part of getting older?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have noticed that the amount of material possessions that I want has declined significantly as I have gotten older. I am perfectly satisfied with everything I have. My car is 20 years old but I have no desire to upgrade. I don't play computer games or video games, and don't have any desire to upgrade my computer, tablet, cell phone. The last tablet and phone I bought I did extensive research on and got really excited about the upgrade but then the performance improvement wasn't very noticeable. Even thinking about my hobbies I don't have a strong desire to buy better running shoes/attire, buy a better gym membership, buy a better camera or lenses, etc. I am increasingly happy with what I have. The only thing I really have a strong desire to spend money on is improving my home. Anyone else feel the same way?

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not sure if that's necessarily a specific aspect of "getting older", maybe more of having had more time to find the things that make you happiest in life and ending up with them. So yes and no?

Reactions: Captante

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I think that a lot of people wish they had more money so they could buy stuff, not necessary because the need it, but for their 'need' to impress friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc., with their new fancy car, mega pick-up truck, or boast about their 85" 8K OLED TV.

Eventually some of us mature beyond giving a damn about how others view us, and realize they really don't give a damn.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
People are finally waking up to the fact that buying a good experience/memory makes you far happier than buying an item.

I have fond memories of my last vacation. I don't have fond memories of the fact that I spent the same amount on a TV sitting in my basement collecting dust.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Take up a hobby that involves buying stuff like parts or materials etc. Once you have all the consumer things you need any extra money can be used for entertainment, and that depends on the hobby. Ex: getting into working on cars or something.

Or you can buy a $10,000 purse for your wife or a $500 trash can for yourself. :p

Reactions: snoopy7548

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'd say experiences as well but that's a bit harder atm. It's why I got scuba certified, bought tickets to fly on a B-17 etc. Not the cheapest but damn fun

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm pretty good right now. I've spent a few grand on forestry stuff the last couple years, but I'm pretty much done. Some of it might be the end is in sight. When you're younger, you have forever to play with new toys. When you get older, you may start to realize you don't have as much time to fool with a bunch of crap. Maybe it's just me... I spent a year debating whether or not to get a new Swiss army knife. My old one had a broken tool as was getting worn. Factoring in useful lifespan was part of the equation. I ended up saying "screw it", and just bought the knife, mostly cause if I don't spend the money, someone else will :^D

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
People are finally waking up to the fact that buying a good experience/memory makes you far happier than buying an item.

I have fond memories of my last vacation. I don't have fond memories of the fact that I spent the same amount on a TV sitting in my basement collecting dust.

Kinda sorta. Buy items that enable experiences. Like you might not have fond memories of the TV, but what about the memories of curling up with the Wife and Kids watching your favorite movies? (Wife and kids not included) 65" 4k HDR probably doesn't make that experience more meaningful, but it wouldn't be possible without the TV. Same for hobbies or whatever.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i've felt like that since i graduated from college

for 15 years i've just kept living on 20-30$k and investing the rest

maybe someday i'll think of something to spend it on...

but it's probably just going to go my nieces and nephews

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If you spend much time running or even walking/hiking in your shoes you should probably replace them at least every 6-12 months. My wife walks the equivalent of a marathon a week so she replaces her running shoes every few months. I replace mine about every six months. I walk about 10-12 miles per week on average.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I will always want a better car. If I had enough for a very high-end luxury car, I'd want a supercar next.

But you know where my money goes? 2 kids and fricken property taxes. Then their college.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm finding I'm spending more of my money on vacations and stuff for around the house than I am on material stuff. IDK if it's because I'm older now or what. Do I want new things? Sure. But I'd rather spend the money fixing up something in/around my house before I blow the cash on a large purchase. I'll admit though, we were just looking at some 70"+ tvs last night.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yep. I'm not sure when it happened, but I can no longer think of anything that I would want for Christmas; I'd rather just be with my family.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Since no one has mentioned it yet...I'll help ya bro...just send all that extra money to me...I'm retired on a fixed income. :confused: I can ALWAYS use mo money...

(Izzit working? Does the OP feel sorry for me?) :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Money won't make you happy, but it can help - Jay Leno

With money comes the responsibility to spend it wisely - from The Velvet Monkey Wrench
- -
I enjoy spending money... sometimes. There are times when I spend very little. Yes, I have money... but it's relative. Another quotation I like:

The poor man's farthing is worth more than all the gold on Africa's shore - William Blake

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
If you spend much time running or even walking/hiking in your shoes you should probably replace them at least every 6-12 months. My wife walks the equivalent of a marathon a week so she replaces her running shoes every few months. I replace mine about every six months. I walk about 10-12 miles per week on average.

shoot i should look at that

i've been using the same pair of walking shoes for maybe 5-10 years

and finally started walking 3 miles a day for months now because my doctor told me to

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd like a lot of stuff.
My garden is a mess and so is one corner of the back lawn. Landscaping costs real money.
If you decide you have too much money, go and ask for a new yard. You'll change your mind quickly.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'd say experiences as well but that's a bit harder atm. It's why I got scuba certified, bought tickets to fly on a B-17 etc. Not the cheapest but damn fun
I took a ride on a B-17 (Aluminum Overcast) probably 10 years ago. Won the ride on a raffle my grandson's scout troop held as a money raiser. EAA, who flies AO, did a sweet deal for the scouts, so they didn't pay the full fair for the ticket.
I got some strange looks after the flight from others on the flight, when I said that was the best $5 plane ride I ever had.

I can't imagine spending hours at 30,000 feet in the freezing cold and big holes in the side for the gunners was nearly as enjoyable.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I can always find more things I want, but my priorities certainly have changed. Home projects have definitely gone up in priority compared to other things. I have very expensive things I want but can't in good conscience get them right now. Like a new drum set, or tools.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can always find more things I want, but my priorities certainly have changed. Home projects have definitely gone up in priority compared to other things. I have very expensive things I want but can't in good conscience get them right now. Like a new drum set, or tools.
I have most of the tools I want. I could use more I suppose, but where would I put them? My garage and a room in my house are both 1/2 filled with tools. I once rebelled against buying a saw set when I sharpened my cross cut saw, back when I was a total pauper. I actually made my own. The only electric grinder I've ever owned is still sitting in my house's work room (converted bedroom), I made it from a dryer motor and some wood, an arbor, and etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't make those things now. I still have that saw set that I made. It's amazing. Sometimes DIY is more satisfying than paying to get something done! I mean, if you can't do for yourself, you are the definition of lame.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Kinda sorta. Buy items that enable experiences. Like you might not have fond memories of the TV, but what about the memories of curling up with the Wife and Kids watching your favorite movies? (Wife and kids not included) 65" 4k HDR probably doesn't make that experience more meaningful, but it wouldn't be possible without the TV. Same for hobbies or whatever.

That's my train of thought too. You can spend like 5-10k on a typical 1 week vacation in a nice place, which to me is money I would rather put towards a big ticket item that will enable good experiences. I've been saving for an off grid property in my case. Eventually I would want to get myself into a financial situation where I can actually live there, but it will take a long time to build anything significant anyway. But all that is part of the experience to me. I can sit back at some point and look and know that I built it. 10 years of not going on vacation is basically 100 grand which would build a decent oasis. Well, not exactly, because I can't afford to go on a vacation in first place. :p Even smaller projects, I see it as an experience and a sense of accomplishment, and it's something I can enjoy for a long time after.

That said if you are a millionaire and you already own a bunch of properties and nice cars and stuff you enjoy, then yeah spending 10k or even more on a vacation actually starts to make lot of sense so you can switch things up. I personally just have a hard time justifying it when I know that money could go towards something else I will enjoy for longer.

That said, small impromptu vacations that have no plans can actually be a lot of fun. Like deciding to go to Toronto for a weekend or something. You'll spend no more than like a grand between hotel and flight and it can still be a fun experience to go to different restaurants and stuff and just be in a different atmosphere.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I go through phases. There are things I want but it requires FU money. Like I want expensive vacation home and upcoming new Tesla Roadster and Cybertruck. So that's my short term goal. I'm working on it.

But other than that, there's not really anything else I want material wise. Once this coronavirus is under control I would like to start traveling again.

Reactions: Muse

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
ok...lets go down the check list....
I have a nice house! Check
I have a gym membership! Check
I am in reasonably good health! Check
I am satisfied with the car that I have! Check
I drink fine whiskey !! check
my wife after being married for 40 + years can still suck a golf ball through a garden hose! check
What more could you want??

Reactions: Muse

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I have most of the tools I want. I could use more I suppose, but where would I put them? My garage and a room in my house are both 1/2 filled with tools. I once rebelled against buying a saw set when I sharpened my cross cut saw, back when I was a total pauper. I actually made my own. The only electric grinder I've ever owned is still sitting in my house's work room (converted bedroom), I made it from a dryer motor and some wood, an arbor, and etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't make those things now. I still have that saw set that I made. It's amazing. Sometimes DIY is more satisfying than paying to get something done! I mean, if you can't do for yourself, you are the definition of lame.

Yeah, I'm still missing a few things that would make some of my projects easier, but I really don't NEED much more either.

I would really like a table or band saw, but don't really need one. I just bought a scroll saw this past weekend which I've wanted for a while, and I'm glad I did. I want a router table, but have only used my router once on the same project. A benchtop sander would be nice, like a belt/disc combo.

Nov 8, 2012
Everything I used to previously like required time commitments - such as playing videogames... Im not taking up videogames again all to be in a game where I'm constantly dieing with 2-16 records because the people I'm competing against play all day like I used to.

The most I can do is take things up casually since I have to stop for parenting, chores, house work, professional work, etc.

So...beer. I can put it down at anytime and pick it back up anytime ;)

But in all seriousness, this is why Im just saving for retirement and other upgrades. Might build a nice outdoor area in the future with a pool, so just saving up funds in the meantime.