I have Malware - recommendations?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
This popped up today, I don't even have VideoLan player. Anybody have any good recommendations on anti-malware? Whats the best way to deal with this?

Thanks,

mt566x.jpg

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you have ever installed VLC it might got unistalled incorrectly. Try disk cleaning programs.

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
I use VLC and its not malware. It's possible it could be malware disguised as VLC or if you use sites like cnet to download software it possibly could have been bundled in with something else.

As far as dealing with malware I have had pretty good results using malwarebytes

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I use VLC and its not malware. It's possible it could be malware disguised as VLC or if you use sites like cnet to download software it possibly could have been bundled in with something else.

As far as dealing with malware I have had pretty good results using malwarebytes

Has your VLC had that same update prompt come up? The thing that gets me is the typically Eastern Bloc style of writing "maybe it can not support blah blah blah..." ... and I don't remember ever installing VLC on this machine.

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
Has your VLC had that same update prompt come up? The thing that gets me is the typically Eastern Bloc style of writing "maybe it can not support blah blah blah..." ... and I don't remember ever installing VLC on this machine.
I have the option unchecked to look for updates.
I would run the free version of malwarebytes just to be sure.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Use a Mozilla based browser like Firefox or Cyberfox. Install the Noscript addon. Configure to use top level domains by default to lessen the cumbersomeness. Install Adblock Edge. Use Sandboxie. This flash update pop ups are more than likly malware. Never click them. What browser are you using?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
OP, where did you download VLC from? It should have been www.videolan.org. The same question applies to any other software you downloaded recently (did you download it from the official source).

A no-brainer method of removing malware which might work is to install MalwareBytes, the free version (www.malwarebytes.org) - don't enable the trial, and run it through a full scan (I normally do 'custom scan', then tick the 'scan for rootkits' box, then tick the drives I want to scan).

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Okay, this appears to be malware. I would scan with ADwcleaner, Super antispyware, Herdprotect and TDSSkiller

If that doesn't work try Freefixer and/or Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
Download the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware. Run a scan on your computer and delete all files that it detects as infected.

In case you don't have one, get an antivirus like bitdefender or avast.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
What you have is a PUP. These get dumped on you if you download stuff from sites other than the official parent.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
ugh, ran Malwarebytes but now its back and Malwarebytes is showing 0 infected items, yet this came up today

2qn400y.jpg

does it make much of a difference running Malwarebytes in safe mode? what is sas?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says that they are not affiliated with Firefox. Did you perchance download a version of Firefox at one point from an unofficial source?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Interesting the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says that they are not affiliated with Firefox. Did you perchance download a version of Firefox at one point from an unofficial source?

thats hilarious, its not even Firefox im running, its Chrome. huge sign that its some kind of malware right there.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
The first photo is VLC trying to update. Second photo is a web popup redirect that happens when going to certain sites. You dont have any malware. At least I've seen no evidence and if Malwarebytes says clean, its most likely clean. Common web popups. Dont click on them obviously. It will put actual malware on the PC. ;)

My job is cleaning malware off of peoples computers all day remotely.
we do this:
boot to safe mode with networking
run one after the other:
rkill
Junkware Removal Tool
we then reset the hosts file and delete temp files
then run Hitman Pro
reboot when it asks
run adwcleaner in regular mode
reboot
run revo uninstaller to remove any stubborn pups
reboot
run jetclean
possibly reset infected browsers if needed

We use these tools because that is what we have to use(company policy), not because I think any of them are the "best". But they do work 99% of the time when run in that order.

For the common person I just suggest malwarebytes and maybe adwcleaner.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The first task is go to the standard uninstall screen inside the control panel and remove everything that is not normal. It's surprisingly a very effective method to get the computer back running decently.

Then after running a few of the above recommended programs to scan for things to remove, go into the settings of Chrome and delete all extensions that don't look normal.