I have just gotten a new 95 Nissan Maxima and I have a question for you guys...

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I read somewhere that you can pickup a cheap computer chip that you can put into ur car to unlock its true power? Is this true? Is it doable w/ my car and how much willl it cost?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: FearoftheNight
I read somewhere that you can pickup a cheap computer chip that you can put into ur car to unlock its true power? Is this true? Is it doable w/ my car and how much willl it cost?

try this

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
i would search....but i duno wut the thing i'm looking for is called...? :(

The real answer, no. The think you thinking about is probably an reprogrammed ECU - but unless you have a few hundred to $1k+, you won't be getting it. Not only that, but they won't provide a HUGE performance difference for the average person. The main reason for buying one is to give your vehicle a higher redline and increased performance for racing - the average person will never even come close to using it's potential.

Also, watch out, there are LOTS imitation products out there that claim to offer better perfomance, yet none of them will. ALso, sign up at Maxima.org because they have the BEST MAXIMA forums on the internet, bar none. Here's a link for the 4th gen forum, which pertains to your car : http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
um, plenty of people do. You sound like a total newbie though who would be in over his head once he fvcked something up on his new car. Here's a thought: get all your engine mods done first, then get a custom chip made based off those mods.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Yea I am really new to all of this. I am eager to learn. What do you think is the best way for me to learn about mods and cars and fixing? I really dislike dealing with mechanics and always think they trying to screw people over....

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
um, plenty of people do. You sound like a total newbie though who would be in over his head once he fvcked something up on his new car. Here's a thought: get all your engine mods done first, then get a custom chip made based off those mods.

Or get a programmable ECU and not have to worry about it... I hate pre-programmed ECUs for daily-driven cars. You'd be better off getting an S-AFC from Apex'i.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Yea I am really new to all of this. I am eager to learn. What do you think is the best way for me to learn about mods and cars and fixing? I really dislike dealing with mechanics and always think they trying to screw people over....

Try maxima.org, damn it!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

The best way is to go to the maxima.org link and ask them. They are a very informed community and they'll be glad to help you out (I know, I'm part of it :D ).

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I am going to boston in the morning to visit med school i will join up there as soon as I get back. I have several quick questions thought...
1. Is it expensive to do stuff/mod cars? What is the range?
2. Is it dangerous?
3. Is tehre a difference between a moonroof and a sunroof?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I am going to boston in the morning to visit med school i will join up there as soon as I get back. I have several quick questions thought...
2. Is it dangerous?

MAXIMA.ORG

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
2. Is it dangerous?

1) it depends on what you define "expensive" as but other than your basic bolt-ons (intake, exhaust) it starts to get pretty expensive
2) not if you do it right
3) my understanding is that a sunroof opens up and slides outside of the car whereas a moonroof will open but stay within the body of the car (like sliding into an empty cavity in the roof behind the moonroof)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If I were you I would start with some cheap handling mods:
Front strut tower brace
and rear sway bar
Should run you about $200 for both
The others are of dubious value IMO, since Maxima already has plenty of power. Aside from the Middle East variable intake, I would only consider a y-pipe, and perhaps some sort of CAI. There is a supercharger kit, but spending 3 grand on one for a 95 Maxima is a sign of diminished mental ability.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
For upgraded ecus (these chips you speak off), you'd want to get JWT's ECU. They only work on 95-97 Maximas. Combine that with a MEVI (middle eastern variable intake manifold that supertool mentioned earlier) and you got a nice beast. Then add a y-pipe.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool
If I were you I would start with some cheap handling mods:
Front strut tower brace
and rear sway bar
Should run you about $200 for both
The others are of dubious value IMO, since Maxima already has plenty of power. Aside from the Middle East variable intake, I would only consider a y-pipe, and perhaps some sort of CAI. There is a supercharger kit, but spending 3 grand on one for a 95 Maxima is a sign of diminished mental ability.

Lol I think I will as soon as I figure out what they are. Estimated price?

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
For upgraded ecus (these chips you speak off), you'd want to get JWT's ECU. They only work on 95-97 Maximas. Combine that with a MEVI (middle eastern variable intake manifold that supertool mentioned earlier) and you got a nice beast. Then add a y-pipe.

Estimated price?

Also...the maximas require high octane? My dad always used 87s before he gave it to me....;o!

?!??!?!??!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Estimated price?

Also...the maximas require high octane? My dad always used 87s before he gave it to me....;o!

?!??!?!??!

If you have to ask about octane, I think you have a LONG way to go before you start w/ mods.