I have joined Nvidia's Focus Group.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Do you have to be selected or can you just join?

I really don't know if anyone can ask to join. I was asked to join. And I accepted. Seemed like a nice opportunity to really get into the nitty-gritty of new products (hardware & software.)

Keys

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

I really don't know if anyone can ask to join. I was asked to join. And I accepted. Seemed like a nice opportunity to really get into the nitty-gritty of new products (hardware & software.)

Keys

Great...another nVidia mouthpiece to be...

its...its... nKeyplayer2003!

At any rate. Yes, I am pretty jealous but your title comes with a price. Sure you get great products to play with (That alone is worth it) but it also makes your forum posts pretty moot regardless of what real data you might have or your honest opinion.

You will forever given the reputation of being completely baised (I would be if I was getting great free products)

So that being said, let me know how it works out!

Gratz again you lucky guy!

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

You need to be asked by NVIDIA. They read the forums and invite people they feel would be good additions to the group.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
What exactly is/does this focus group ?

We receive hardware/software/information from NVIDIA for review, and to use to correct misinformation, help with end user issues.

We are sometimes asked to post PR statements on current topics, as NVIDIA company policy does not allow employees to post on forums.

We are asked to forward user concerns with product functionality that we run across to appropriate staff at NVIDIA for correction.

Some of us moderate on NVIDIA forums.

We are asked not to market products, only to post factual information that can be verified, in a professional manner.

We are required to post our affiliation with NVIDIA in our sigs.

I fielded this question as I have experience for the last two years + with the NVIDIA run focus group, and prior to that with the AEG run focus group.

The AEG run focus group had the same intent, but was not run as rigidly structured. What we have been since NVIDIA took it over is what they wanted it to be all along.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
What exactly is/does this focus group ?

It allows me to evaluate, test, provide feedback (positive and negative) of new products.
It also is a means to communicate issues/wants/needs of us (video card users/enthusiasts) back to nvidia. This could provide data needed for improvements (when needed) on various nvidia products. It really is a way to help make things better all around. I think it's pretty cool, actually.

EDIT: Oops, Rollo answered first.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Powernick50
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Keys

its...its... nKeyplayer2003!

At any rate. Yes, I am pretty jealous but your title comes with a price. Sure you get great products to play with (That alone is worth it) but it also makes your forum posts pretty moot regardless of what real data you might have or your honest opinion.

You will forever given the reputation of being completely baised (I would be if I was getting great free products)

So that being said, let me know how it works out!

Gratz again you lucky guy!

On the contrary Powernick. I am "your" mouthpiece. Look at it positively.
Those who know me, and i think that is most everyone here, will know better. Bias is not my nature. I like even playing fields
and as a moderator here, that is most important to me.
And thanks for the congrats!!

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I thought the very reason nRollo was vetoed for the position of Graphics moderator was the appearance of impropriety/bias in a position that requires neutrality. Note that I'm not implying that anyone would actually act in a biased manner, but there's a reason why the moderators in presidential debates are often members of the press and not members of the RNC or DNC. That way, there can't be any accusations that so-and-so moderator did something because of such-and-such, even when that might not be the case.

On another note - any chance of us getting some DAAMIT or Intel representation here, just to balance things out? Or are they simply not interested in doing something similar here at AT?

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Keys,

On the contrary Powernick. I am "your" mouthpiece. Look at it positively.
Those who know me, and i think that is most everyone here, will know better. Bias is not my nature. I like even playing fields
and as a moderator here, that is most important to me.
And thanks for the congrats!![/quote]

It doesn't matter what I think, I think you guys are great, nRollo included. That being said that doesn't help that you will have 3 9800GTX's Tri-Sli'd in a rig and being asked about a 9800GTX versus a 3870 x2 etc. All I am saying is no matter what you say your thoughts will be forevered colored, if even to a very miniscule amount. It happens to everybody especially in this situation.

I just wish there was a champion of ATI around. Yes, I know that they have been slacking, but I would feel alot better if you guys also had the latest and greatest from ATI and were able to do side by side comparisons etc.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I am honestly of the opinion that as public (non-NVIDIA-owned) forum, you should voluntarily step down from being a moderator, particularly of the graphics forum. I'm not saying you wouldn't still do a good job, but based on past experiences in this particular forum with other members of the focus group (and as mentioned in this thread), it will cast a shadow of bias over any future moderating actions you may take on this forum. It's all about perception - whether or not anything ever comes of it doesn't matter.

With that said, cool. I wish I could do something like that. I wonder if AMD/ATI has any sort of program like that (though I wouldn't mind NVIDIA either). I always loved goofing around and torturing hardware.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: SunnyD
I am honestly of the opinion that as public (non-NVIDIA-owned) forum, you should voluntarily step down from being a moderator, particularly of the graphics forum. I'm not saying you wouldn't still do a good job, but based on past experiences in this particular forum with other members of the focus group (and as mentioned in this thread), it will cast a shadow of bias over any future moderating actions you may take on this forum. It's all about perception - whether or not anything ever comes of it doesn't matter.

With that said, cool. I wish I could do something like that. I wonder if AMD/ATI has any sort of program like that (though I wouldn't mind NVIDIA either). I always loved goofing around and torturing hardware.

I know ATI NEEDS something like this to help out. Heck. Just give me Dual 3870x2's and I'll be happy.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

I just wish there was a champion of ATI around. Yes, I know that they have been slacking, but I would feel alot better if you guys also had the latest and greatest from ATI and were able to do side by side comparisons etc.

It's hard to say if there are any ATi "focus group" guys around.

ATi hired that "High Road" PR company a couple years ago, at the time, "viral assets" was in their website as part of their business. I don't know if ATi still works with them or not, or if High Road still does the viral thing. If they are, we might have some ATi representation here.

Ati has a "Beta Tester" program still for sure, but those guys post mainly at Rage3d and B3d AFAIK. (and also only get drivers AFAIK- no hardware)

In any case, congratulations Keys, you're a great addition to the group. :) :beer:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: nRollo
It's hard to say if there are any ATi "focus group" guys around.

ATi hired that "High Road" PR company a couple years ago, at the time, "viral assets" was in their website as part of their business. I don't know if ATi still works with them or not, or if High Road still does the viral thing. If they are, we might have some ATi representation here.

Ati has a "Beta Tester" program still for sure, but those guys post mainly at Rage3d and B3d AFAIK. (and also only get drivers AFAIK- no hardware)

In any case, congratulations Keys, you're a great addition to the group. :) :beer:

I always wondered about that. When you were first "outed", I remember some big flame thread going on that mention something about ATI's possible viral ties, but all that happened was rampant speculation of possible ATI "players" on the forum. I don't recall anything actually coming of it. Yo! AMD/ATI!!! I'll happily spread your goodness!!! :p

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Yeah I second that. SunnyD and Powernick50 vs Keys and Nrollo ATI vs Nvidia.

Only one small problem with that is I have 230ish forum posts and don't know any more than the average geek about cards.. But I can still be a Propaganda Machine!!

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I would like to see some DAAMIT representation too, just to even things out a bit. Have they been offered the opportunity?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
I always wondered about that. When you were first "outed", I remember some big flame thread going on that mention something about ATI's possible viral ties, but all that happened was rampant speculation of possible ATI "players" on the forum. I don't recall anything actually coming of it. Yo! AMD/ATI!!! I'll happily spread your goodness!!! :p

High Road Announcement

It's hard to say what those guys are up to, or even if they're still associated with ATi after the buy out.

I've ran across several people over the years who receive free parts from various hardware companies, signed NDAs, etc that aren't noted in their sig.

I think hardware firms just think of these guys as "pro staff" like the guys who get/use free fishing equipment when they start to build their name on the tournament circuit.

They probably hope for "Look! Joe Blow uses Brand X! I should too!" type advertising.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
we might have some ATi representation here.

We might? :p

RotFL

... we DO
rose.gif

... ATF is a very important Tech forum! ... we won't be "neglected" as badly with poor PR with AMD as we so obviously have been with NVDIA's ...
i just noticed some real and very solid improvement just now. ;)

i'm glad to see some fresh air coming in and maybe *we* can get back to what we do best - discussing Graphics without too much distraction from "PR"

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
we might have some ATi representation here.

We might? :p

RotFL

... we DO
rose.gif

... ATF is a very important Tech forum! ... we won't be "neglected" as badly with poor PR with AMD as we so obviously have been with NVDIA's ...
i just noticed some real and very solid improvement just now. ;)

i'm glad to see some fresh air coming in and maybe *we* can get back to what we do best - discussing Graphics without too much distraction from "PR"

Well I was thinking you might have something to do with it, but I don't get the impression that you're actually sponsored by ATI/AMD. I think you are just the type of person that likes ATI's stuff and you wear your pride on your sleeve.

Myself, I would be downright PROUD to put ATI/AMD in my box at home, and slap "Member of ATI/AMD focus group, I get free stuff from them!" in my sig. I would happily pimp for them especially with a 780G+3780x2+Phenom 9900 in the mail. :)

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007

Sounds to me more like he joined so that he can dispell any posssible falsehoods from those proclaimng to be nVidia mouthpieces.

toslat

Jul 26, 2007
Seeing the way guys treat nRollo (even when he is right), personally, I will think twice b4 joining any focus group, particularly Nvidia

Anyway, this will be an opportunity to find out who the culprit was: nRollo or Nvidia Focus Grp.

Keys:
On the Moderator issue, I also feel u shld take the high road and step down voluntarily.