"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me."

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
this is the line that morpheus says at the end of reloaded. i don't want to get started about what this means w.r.t. the plot of the movie, because i don't want people to read about any spoilers. the reason i'm stating this is because i could've sworn that i read this line in a book somewhere, and i'm hoping that someone else also recognizes it.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It's very similar to a song in Les Miserables.... is that the connection you're thinking of?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: m2kewl
wild guess: MLK?
are you being sarcastic? i can't tell.....

Originally posted by: NogginBoink
It's very similar to a song in Les Miserables.... is that the connection you're thinking of?
i don't know, i've never seen les miserables.

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
- When the Nebuchadnezzar goes down, Morpheus says "I have dreamed a dream. But now that dream is gone from me." Compare with Daniel 2:3 (King James Bible), "I have dreamed a dream, and my spirit was troubled to know the dream."

google search

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Similar to Yeats, as well.

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

-- William Butler Yeats

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: minus1972
- When the Nebuchadnezzar goes down, Morpheus says "I have dreamed a dream. But now that dream is gone from me." Compare with Daniel 2:3 (King James Bible), "I have dreamed a dream, and my spirit was troubled to know the dream."

google search

another biblical reference for people to complain about. oh happy day.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
In other words, a repeated theme in history that they used in the movie. I am sure the theme permeates many many works, seeing as unrealized dreams are a fairly common occurence.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
yea its a reference (duh) to the biblical nebeckanezer said by (3 guesses) morpheus the mythical god of dreams

btw the yeats allusion was used in Equilibrium which is another cool movie in the same style

(gun taka's awesome)

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
From Les Miserables - I Dreamed a Dream:

"I Dreamed a Dream..But Now Life Has Killed the Dream I Dreamed."

Not even close but I like that song anyway :)

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: illustri
yea its a reference (duh) to the biblical nebeckanezer said by (3 guesses) morpheus the mythical god of dreams

btw the yeats allusion was used in Equilibrium which is another cool movie in the same style

(gun taka's awesome)

1) It wasn't an allusion, it was straight quoted.

2) It's gun Kata, not taka

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Dude, stay away from the thread about the drunk chick. Both hands on the wheel! :D

Khombhat

Apr 25, 2020
I don't know if anyone has offerred this obvious tidbit, but the quote being discussed concerning Daniel 2:3 makes a great deal of sense given that the king of Babylon who was speaking those words was Nebuchadnezzar. Just for what it may be worth.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
jtDI2ts.png