I have dental insurance and want to change dentist.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was told that I had to pay for X-rays taken recently because the ins. company will only pay x-rays once every four-five years.

Do the X-rays belong to me if I pay the dentist?

TIA!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
A reputable dentist will send your x-rays to your new dentist (not you) if you ask them to. You can probably arrange this by talking to the office person who schedules appointments and handles billing.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Only once every for or five years? That's crappy. Most policies I've seen pay for x-rays once a year. Anyway, yes, the Xrays should belong to you.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaieye
I was told that I had to pay for X-rays taken recently because the ins. company will only pay x-rays once every four-five years.

Do the X-rays belong to me if I pay the dentist?

TIA!
If they won't give you the originals then ask for copies. I believe they are yours if you or your ins. company has paid for them.

If they won't cooperate then your new dentist can request your records and your xrays from your previous dentist.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
This is a very god question. I've had this situation before. Insurance only pays for a full set very x years (I think 4-5 like the OP said). I don't remember the details but at the time I felt that the dentists were not too keen on sharing or giving the x-rays over.