I have an Internship interview this Thursday!!!

MommysLittleMonster

Nov 2, 2004
The interview is at an Accounting firm. I was prepared to wear a suit and tie to the interview but the guy emailed me back with interview date conformations and a PS that said they dont do suits and ties....feel free to dress business casual.

What exactly is business casual? Is it khakis and a button down tucked in (rolled up sleeves) or a polo with khakis? Also, what kinds of shoes are permitted?

Thanx.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
I would just wear a suit anyhow.

But business casual would be a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt, no rolled up sleeves. no polo. dress shoes.

Nov 5, 2001
business casual is usually slacks and a polo or button shirt. Shoes are casual dress shoes (loafers, etc.).

My recommendation is still do a suit and tie. You generally should try to dress 1 step above the norm where you are interviewing, i.e. if they wear polos and jeans everyday, wear khakis.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
my prof taught us the rule for dressing up according to him. you don't have to dress up if you are confident. :D

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
my prof taught us the rule for dressing up according to him. you don't have to dress up if you are confident. :D

and thats why he's a professor ;)

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Don't wear a suit or tie.

Bottom line is to follow directions. I would wear your suit pants and a dress shirt tucked in with the top button undone.

Good Luck.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Just go with slacks, a button up shirt (TUCKED IN OF COURSE) with no tie (leave the top collar unbuttoned, foo!) and top it off with a blazer.

Shiny shoes, matching belt and you're ready to rock.

MommysLittleMonster

Nov 2, 2004
I guess I'll just go with either some khakis or black slacks and some shiny black loafers. And I'll wear a button down shirt (not rolled up) with the top button unbuttoned...tucked in of course. Do you think a pink button down is too grand to wear to a business casual interview?

Nov 5, 2001
remember, your first impression is visual. Some places like to tell you things like that to see how your respond. They told you "feel free", but maybe they want to see how far you are willing to go for the position. Did you make an extra effort?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I work at an accounting firm:

Show up in pressed wool slacks, lace up shined clean shoes, and starched long sleeve dress shirt. Let your personality build your character, your clothes should not do the speaking.

Do not wear cotton khakis and a polo.

Have some pride in your appearance, the Partners you will be interviewing with are all making $200K+ and you will be representing your firm at cleints who are paying an assload of money for you to be there. They expect professionalism.

whalen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
I was at a 2nd round interview "leadership conference" recently, and it was business casual. I would say about 60% of guys had dress pants/shirt and tie on, 30% had no tie, and 10% had full blown suit/tie. If i were you i'd go shirt and tie, but bring the suit jacket just in case you feel out of place when you get there.

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
no pink shirt.

slacks/khakis with a button down. no need for tie. don't roll up your sleves unless you're actually doing work.

nooobs.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: KEV1N
Just go with slacks, a button up shirt (TUCKED IN OF COURSE) with no tie (leave the top collar unbuttoned, foo!) and top it off with a blazer.

Shiny shoes, matching belt and you're ready to rock.

this works. Make sure it is long sleeved shirt.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Trousers, shirt, tie and shoes.

Underwear is optional :p

Koing

Albis

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
when i had dinner before my interview, business casual was black dress pants, semi formal dress shoes and a blue shirt without the top button undone

my accounting interviews with the big four went smoothly and so calm. the first round i felt was much harder then the second round and office visits

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
if they told you its business casual, go business casual.

and everyone description of BC is correct.

my interview for my current job, the owner told me its a BC office and to come in BC.

I did and got the job, i think if you go in with a suit they'll think you dont listen

MommysLittleMonster

Nov 2, 2004
I am wearing.....

Blue button down dress shirt, tucked in, with top button open...
Dark sand khakis...
Brown Belt...
Brown casual loafers.

No blazer, no suit, no tie....I was prepared to wear a suit and tie, but he told me "we dont do suits and ties here, feel free to dress business casual" and thats exactly what I will do.

Now, anyone got any good interview tips...
I already know I will be asking alot about the job, who I will be working with, what will I be doing, is this a permanent position, why did they decide to look for an intern.

Am I missing anything?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
If the ysaid they don't do suit and ties, still wear nice dress slacks and a nice dress shirt. That way, you listened to their directions, but you were still nicely dressed.

randal

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001
Just think about this -- if you go in wearing slacks, button down, tie & a good looking blazer (or even a matching suit), the worst thing that can happen is that the guy will be impressed and say "take your jacket off, that's a little stuffy" or some such thing. It's MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to dress down on-site than it is to dress up. It takes less than thirty seconds to whip off your coat & tie, but you can't put them on if you didn't bring them in the first place.

I'd enter the lobby, ask to speak to whoever, and case the joint and see what everybody else is wearing. Then dress down accordingly -- has always worked for me, including for client visits and such.