I have an ear for good music, an eye for art and visual flair and even some writing ability

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
For years people have told me that I have a good eye for fashion and art, in fact I've had co-workers approach me on numerous occasions for fashion tips. And beleive it or not I've even had women approach me on the street and subway who complimented me on my style and given me their phone numbers. In addition to posessing a little fashion sense I think I have a pretty good ear for music, I've done a little DJing on the side in the past and perhaps that's helped me gain a perspective on music.

The reason I'm bringing all this up is that I've often considered a career in advertising or some other type of media or visual outlet. The problem is I have 0 credentials outside of compliments from coworkers and strangers.

Is there a way I can make myself attractive to prospective employers without a degree or experience?

If I put together a portfolion of ideas and projects would that be enough? If I put together a package like that how could I protect myself from being ripped off?

What are some jobs that would need a person with my kind of talents?

Is Chicago the kind of city a person like me could find work in media/visual design?

Anyone out there in the field?

apinomus

Dec 14, 2005
Do some work for free or for cost for these people to get your name out and start a reputation. You can't expect it to be handed to you if you're not doing anything. For most jobs it's 10% what you know, and 90% who you know.