I have an ATI Radeon X800 GTO

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Its almost as if the fan is stuck, but i can spin it fairly freely... the motor however will stop after about 5 seconds... i believe this is causing me some issues... no i do NOT have the money to replace anything in this computer... (i have a laptop however)

any suggestions?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Well it cant be the drivers :laugh:

I'm thinking the fan motor is shot. Does it make any sounds? Seems like to me the motor tries to run but shuts down (from resistance?). IDK, just guessing on my part.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
well, it will run, and then stop from resistance... i popped the fan off, but dont have small enough screw driver to take the fan shroud off yet... after i do that, and then put the fan back on, it will run... for 5 seconds... and then it stops... almost as if the bearings/bushings in the dc motor are gone...

if this is true, is there ANY quick fix? i REALLY want to play CSS for the first time in a year.

if i put a fan over top of it, from the case, and some how attached it, will it keep the GPU cool enough to not error out on me and ill be able to play? :D

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
fuck, looks like ill just have to find a new heatsink... after messing around with the fan, the positive lead came unsoldered and is no longer connected... god dammit, and here i was gunna smoke a bowl and kill some baddies.