I have always wondered... why do Americans think driiling more in US will benefit CITIZENS??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
You're right, but facts are no fun, are they? Unless domestic oil is nationalized...the US would not benefit much more than other countries would. It's a globally traded commodity.

I am pretty sure future leases could have a "domestic use only" provision built into them... but even if they do not, the mere threat of drilling is one of the significant contributors to the drop in oil prices over the last 30-60 days.

Imagine what would happen if we actually passed law that allowed for drilling. We wouldnt actually have to drill to watch the prices tumble.

I still dont understand how getting an additional 2million barrels from domestic sources is a bad thing. Given that it is a global market, it would still drop the price. It doesnt matter if it physically stays inside the US borders... it is a GLOBAL market.

I also dont see conservatives striking down alternative energy. I dont think ANYONE is against it. What I do see is conservatives saying we should use ALL channels for energy... be them wind, solar, nuclear, coal, oil, natural gas, or the gas produced from the "Burrito Caliente" I had for lunch. Get it all. Why stop with any one or selective few things?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Until they build new refineries, the supply of usable petroleum will be choked at that point.
Furthermore, there is no such thing as "Drilling Rigs R US", so any production drilling will be after those are built, installed, and connected to distribution nodes.
The whole "drill Here and NOW" clamor is a distraction to further divide the population.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dahunan
Are we really naive enough to believe it will

Reduce the price at the pump
Stay IN America
Not be sold to highest bidder anywhere in world

^^USA will only get a couple more Tax dollars... no other benefit

Did you fail economics.....let me rephrase. Did you fail common sense in life?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Until they build new refineries, the supply of usable petroleum will be choked at that point.
Furthermore, there is no such thing as "Drilling Rigs R US", so any production drilling will be after those are built, installed, and connected to distribution nodes.
The whole "drill Here and NOW" clamor is a distraction to further divide the population.

Actually no new refineries + increase in oil supply will accelerate price erosion to oil. There will be stockpiles of barrels of oil while it sits through the refinery bottleneck and there will be no buyers so the price of oil will drop, which benefits gasoline users because the cost is lower.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Fern

I think a better question is "why do Democrats think drilling more in US WON'T benefit CITIZENS??"

Fern

Because we've already seen what Republicans do with oil profits.

Hey Dave, it's 2008 and the Dems are in power (Congress is the one that gets to spend money. The Prez can only submit suggestions and/or veto).

Waddya say we let them play with the $100's of billions from US gov oil royalties?

Fern

When the Dems really are in power get back to me.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
More drilling means more oil which means lower prices.

Simple supply and demand.

Wow

Where the hell have you've been the last couple of years?

It's been proven supply and demand has nothing to do with the oil scam industry.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Modelworks
More oil is a nice idea, but it doesn't help much if we can't refine it fast enough.

Look at Iran, plenty of oil but since they can't refine it, it does them no good.

More lies that has been proven to be false over and over again.

Refineries actually cut back production the last year on purpose.

How do you know what the deal is in IRAN?

You trust anything the idiot that says the Halocaust never happened?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: dahunan
Are we really naive enough to believe it will

Reduce the price at the pump
Stay IN America
Not be sold to highest bidder anywhere in world

^^USA will only get a couple more Tax dollars... no other benefit

Did you fail economics.....let me rephrase. Did you fail common sense in life?

Gosh, wonder how we survived the 20th Century based on your sense of NO logic.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Actually no new refineries + increase in oil supply will accelerate price erosion to oil.

There will be stockpiles of barrels of oil while it sits through the refinery bottleneck and there will be no buyers so the price of oil will drop, which benefits gasoline users because the cost is lower.

Epic fail on your part.

It's been proven time and time again there is no refinery shortage.

They have actually cut refinery production.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Actually no new refineries + increase in oil supply will accelerate price erosion to oil.

There will be stockpiles of barrels of oil while it sits through the refinery bottleneck and there will be no buyers so the price of oil will drop, which benefits gasoline users because the cost is lower.

Epic fail on your part.

It's been proven time and time again there is no refinery shortage.

They have actually cut refinery production.

lol which fucking proves my point. Refinery cuts production = they buy less oil to refine (RAW MATERIAL COST OF GOOD), oil prices fall.

Epic fail on your feeble brain.