I have a quick TRIG. question...please help me- it's really not that hard, i just missed two days of class :(

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I've been stuck on this damn problem forever...

Simplify:

3cos²X+3csc²X

Think of X as theta I guess...whatever, I just need that simplified! I can't get it very far!

I get to:

3(cos²Xsin²X+1/sin²X) and can't go any farther. I want to say this is as far as it can go, but my math teacher gave it to our class to do and I really don't think she would stop us there. :(

By the way, for those who are interested, csc=cosecant...if you didn't know that, please don't help me. ;) heheh, just kidding, i need all the help I can get for this problem!

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
We're going over this stuff in class right now, but we haven't reached that part yet. :(

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
hmn, I can't see any real easy way to simplify it. Perhaps you need a trig identity of some sort, but which one I have no idea. I put your problem into Maple and told it to simplify it and it gave me this:

3*(-1-cos(X)^2+cos(X)^4)/(-1+cos(X)^2)

Don't know if this helps you, looks more complex than the first.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
you need to use a trid identity, but it's been like 3 years for me since I've done those, so I'm no help. check your book

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeh man it's an identity. I did this last year but my memory is horribble, sorry cant really help u.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
heh, thanks anyway guys. :p

I'll ask my math teacher before school...even my friend who is a year ahead of me (well, he is a year ahead of the year ahead kids like myself...so he is two years ahead!) couldn't get it more simplified than what I had.

We haven't learned an identity that can help with that problem yet...I am up the creek without a friggin paddle! :Q

Oh well! Thank to all who responded. :)

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
My friend gave me that problem last night (he got it from the teacher)...only problem is he told me it wrong!

It was actually 3sec^2X+3csc^2X

Oh well...