I have a question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Czar
Great Brittain, before that probably the Austrian empire

His requirements are: sane, decent, strong empire

The British Empire was neither sane nor decent.

If the empire has to fit all three of those requirements the only one I can think of would be Japan way back when they were basically isolated

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
When was it, that the last sane, decent, strong empire was destroyed? Not erased from exsistance, just shown the right way. Was it those Roman cats?

I've got bad vibes about our current direction.

I would say the Ottoman.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I'd say in about 20 years the US is gonna take a turn for the worst when oil shortages become real problems. We could easily prevent this by throwing more money at alternative fuel sources, but nah... keep lining the pockets of those blood-sucking oil companies.

Try huge social programs coming of age, IE baby boomers running up 1 trillion a year in SS deficit spending.

Medicare is even more dire.

Oil will be the least of our worries at that point.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: outriding
When was it, that the last sane, decent, strong empire was destroyed? Not erased from exsistance, just shown the right way. Was it those Roman cats?

I would say the Ottoman.

I prefer footstools :)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BrownTown
EVERY civilization comes to an end after some amount of time. If you want to commpare us to Rome than note that the "pax romana" lasted 200 years, and so far the US has only been the dominant country for 60 years, so if we follow Romes example youll be dead well before it comes back to bite us in the ass.

I'll add that the Pax Romana, Ottoman & Austo-Hungarian Empires lacked the geogarphical isolation we enjoy. When they became weak their "neighbors" moved in and sacked their empires.

So, notwithstanding the Canadians & Mexicans, it's unlikely if not nearly impossible that we'll be attacked by neighboring states/hordes/barbarians ro suffer any foreign occupation etc.

But yeah, given all the Repub/Dem bickering etc, we're weakening/destroying ourselves about as fast as possible. We'd rather fight each other than any enemy we may have.

Fern

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: BrownTown
EVERY civilization comes to an end after some amount of time. If you want to commpare us to Rome than note that the "pax romana" lasted 200 years, and so far the US has only been the dominant country for 60 years, so if we follow Romes example youll be dead well before it comes back to bite us in the ass.

I'll add that the Pax Romana, Ottoman & Austo-Hungarian Empires lacked the geogarphical isolation we enjoy. When they became weak their "neighbors" moved in and sacked their empires.

So, notwithstanding the Canadians & Mexicans, it's unlikely if not nearly impossible that we'll be attacked by neighboring states/hordes/barbarians ro suffer any foreign occupation etc.

But yeah, given all the Repub/Dem bickering etc, we're weakening/destroying ourselves about as fast as possible. We'd rather fight each other than any enemy we may have.

Fern

Canadians are just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
You can't destroy the United States, everyone depends on us whether they admit it or not and we are the real United Nations. Peoples from every country in the world live here and love it for our liberties - religious, social and financial. Thats why I'm concerned when people defer to the UN, a block packed with despot and brutal regimes to make international policy its sick really.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I'd say in about 20 years the US is gonna take a turn for the worst when oil shortages become real problems. We could easily prevent this by throwing more money at alternative fuel sources, but nah... keep lining the pockets of those blood-sucking oil companies.

Yeah but all of the other industrialized nations will be in the same boat for the most part. Not to say that we won't be affected more, because we probably will, but it will be catastrophic for the entire world when that happens.

But I actually look forward to the day when we can go back to ignoring the middle east completely.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: Czar
Great Brittain, before that probably the Austrian empire

His requirements are: sane, decent, strong empire

The British Empire was neither sane nor decent.

If the empire has to fit all three of those requirements the only one I can think of would be Japan way back when they were basically isolated

I do disagree. Consider the Chinese Empire before it went isolationist.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo
You can't destroy the United States, everyone depends on us whether they admit it or not and we are the real United Nations. Peoples from every country in the world live here and love it for our liberties - religious, social and financial. Thats why I'm concerned when people defer to the UN, a block packed with despot and brutal regimes to make international policy its sick really.

Thats what was said about Rome too....

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: smack Down
the United States isn't an empire hasn't been since world war II.

???

WW2 was when the US came into its own. Since our WW2 military/industrial expansion, we have kept our bases in Europe, Asia, etc, along with wider trade alliances than ever thought possible .. we're more of an 'empire' than ever before.

Explain your perspective on this?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Occurs to me that Rome wasn't holding everybody elses money. Yeah for foreign debt!

Attack us & kiss your money good bye (or decline to help us and kiss it goodbye!)

:)

Fern

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: smack Down
the United States isn't an empire hasn't been since world war II.

???

WW2 was when the US came into its own. Since our WW2 military/industrial expansion, we have kept our bases in Europe, Asia, etc, along with wider trade alliances than ever thought possible .. we're more of an 'empire' than ever before.

Explain your perspective on this?

Seconded

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

tinfoil WILL save you! I swear!

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003

The world was not as interconnected and interdependent back then as it is now.

If the US goes, it takes the world with it.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: jrenz
Originally posted by: animalia
The downwards spiral has already started, just bring your money to the UK and you'll realize this fact really quick.

are you reffering to the US dollar?

Yes.

Wow. Much for the melodramatic?

No, not really, when you realize that your money is worth less than half of its value (after commission), then you've got a problem. http://www.xe.com/ucc/ <-- click here for hours of fun.

And how has the weaker dollar affected us? Inflation is non existent and our economy is still strong.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

The world was not as interconnected and interdependent back then as it is now.

If the US goes, it takes the world with it.

Although I agree to a point, Rome *was* the center of the universe in its time.