I have a confession to make...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think one of my favorite, if not my favorite, parts of any recent Bioware game has been their fantastic character creator. Sometimes, I can spend up to an hour to two hours simply crafting how my character looks (of course, only to see what might have looked good in the char creator looks like complete ass in the game proper). Hell it gave me a reason to attempt a playthough with each class in ME 1/2 and every Origins story in DA:O. I'm even going to play through DA:2 two more times so I can "make" a mage and a warrior.

If only the choice/consequence system of the rest of the game were as nuanced and detailed as your choice of how you character looks.

Anyone else find themselves really enjoying the creator? Making characters you have no intention of really playing? Or do I need to see my local shrink post haste?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I try to, but ultimately, since you either mostly don't see your character in game, or just looking at the back of their heads and how you look (aside from male/female) generally has absolutely no bearing on the game itself, I don't bother to worry about it too much any more.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it though, it's still a form a artistic expression..now if you're spending 5 hours making the perfect alien female and having x rated fantasies about her, then...well..ur normal.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I'm sure you'd love the Witcher series then, OP :biggrin:

I try to, but ultimately, since you either mostly don't see your character in game, or just looking at the back of their heads and how you look (aside from male/female) generally has absolutely no bearing on the game itself, I don't bother to worry about it too much any more.

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking it though, it's still a form a artistic expression..now if you're spending 5 hours making the perfect alien female and having x rated fantasies about her, then...well..ur normal.

In many games it doesn't matter, but in most Bioware games you actually spend a surprisingly long amount of time starting at your characters due to all the dialogue/cut-scenes. So handcrafting your look is actually worthwhile in those games imo.

It's a complete waste of time in Oblivion though, as it's played in first person view during both combat and cutscenes.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah I like having lots of customization options when creating a character, it's part of being a RPG fan.

But what I like even more in games is itemization and variety in items.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Yeah, it's not like Bethesda games (Fallout) where you barely get to see the front face of your character. I've also spent hours crafting my ME and DA characters to perfection. The worst part is when I get something slightly wrong (like eyebrows) and have to do it all over again. The trouble is, sometimes they give you a lot of options, but all of those options look weird as hell (what's with the hair in ME/DA? There's only like one or two hairstyles that look "normal").

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I just go with the default mostly. Maybe put 5mins into it. I want to start playing.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I do usually like to customize my characters, but with the Mass Effect series I really liked the way default Shepard looked. I thought it matched his voice and my imagination of what he would look like, so I went with it.

The truly hardcore fans spent hours customizing their Baldur's Gate character. ;)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm not a big fan of micromanaging customization of a character. It's probably because I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I just don't see the point and don't care for the tedium of eyebrow placement, nose size, cheekbone width or chin dimples. I do like mustache choices, though. :)

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I'm not a big fan of micromanaging customization of a character. It's probably because I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I just don't see the point and don't care for the tedium of eyebrow placement, nose size, cheekbone width or chin dimples. I do like mustache choices, though. :)

Yeah, I'm like this as well. Skin color, hair style, eye shape, basic body frame, etc. I do end up spending a lot of time creating the character, but not on the fine details. I think I spent an hour creating my Shepard in ME2, and she was based on a preset. I see similar Shepards, but none the same! ME2 was rare in that I started with one character, then started a new game to create a different looking character.

GTA SA had good cc as well, and I was always tweaking Carl. Mount and Blade I spent like an hour, and I ended up seeing the guy I created as a generic bad guy in the game! hahaha

RandomSanity

Jan 23, 2006

Sounds like me as well, I generally hit random a couple times, give myself some ridiculous looking hairstyle and then get bored and play. Chances are I'm just going to shove a helmet on that covers most of my face anyways, don't much care what I look like.

Now if my bathroom mirror had this feature, I can see myself using it more often ;)

Dec 28, 2001
Reminisces about hours spent rolling dice in character setups in the infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) and scoffs at OP's weaksauce "confession".

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Reminisces about hours spent rolling dice in character setups in the infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) and scoffs at OP's weaksauce "confession".

Not really the same thing though. Those actually impact your character :)