Discussion I have 6 months to figure out how to explain this to the wife...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
We have separate finances so that's below the threshold where it's her business. But... did you really open a new store credit card for this? That'll hit your credit report and FICO score...

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Chump change for musical instruments. Trying getting into piano...

lol, i still hope to get my 7 foot grand piano someday, if i ever get the room and the ability to part with that much cash. right now the manufacturer and model i want runs about 40-50$k.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
We have separate finances so that's below the threshold where it's her business. But... did you really open a new store credit card for this? That'll hit your credit report and FICO score...

I've had that card. Musician's Friend store credit is awesome- you get 8% back + 48 months interest free over $1000. I'll get like $100+ of store credit by using the card to pay for it.

Reactions: dave_the_nerd

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
does yours come with a matching bow?

It actually does!

"Includes a custom hardshell flight case, super-long white leather strap, red coiled cable, violin bow, rosin, Herco® 75 guitar picks "

Was hoping they'd give the whole violin though :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I always thought having a grand piano would be kind of cool if I had the room (and money lol).

Grand pianos are great because you can learn to play "As Time Goes By", and by default a sultry woman in a long slinky dress has to come lay on top of it and sing.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Douglas, is that a new...

WHAT!?!?!

ojM-Ui.gif

Reactions: Fritzo

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't understand the question.
You want to buy an electric guitar.
Don't even go the "investment" route. Women are often smarter than we give them credit for.
Tell her the truth about how you feel.

Edit:
I've failed in my post to appreciate that this is only a humor thread and not in the L&R section ...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It actually does!

"Includes a custom hardshell flight case, super-long white leather strap, red coiled cable, violin bow, rosin, Herco® 75 guitar picks "

Was hoping they'd give the whole violin though :D

damn, that's awesome. :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I don't understand the question.
You want to buy an electric guitar.
Don't even go the "investment" route. Women are often smarter than we give them credit for.
Tell her the truth about how you feel.

Edit:
I've failed in my post to appreciate that this is only a humor thread and not in the L&R section ...

I read your response and got sad, then I read the last line...

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-T...gif

Reactions: ctbaars

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Grand pianos are great because you can learn to play "As Time Goes By", and by default a sultry woman in a long slinky dress has to come lay on top of it and sing.

LOL i wish!

it's always been about the guitar for women around my age. the only ones who have ever even been interested in piano playing are all 20+ years older than me.

i've actually thought of picking up the guitar for that very reason, haha. there's apparently nothing quite as impressive as an "anyway, here's wonderwall".

but it hurts my fingers too much.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
"I always had this guitar. Just got it back from the shop. I wanted the neck adjusted. You don't remember it?? Dunno... I've had this thing since I was 20 :shrugs:"

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
LOL i wish!

it's always been about the guitar for women around my age. the only ones who have ever even been interested in piano playing are all 20+ years older than me.

i've actually thought of picking up the guitar for that very reason, haha. there's apparently nothing quite as impressive as an "anyway, here's wonderwall".

but it hurts my fingers too much.

You are 100% correct:

If you keep at the guitar, the pain goes away in about 3 weeks when you build up callouses.

Reactions: brianmanahan

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You are 100% correct:

If you keep at the guitar, the pain goes away in about 3 weeks when you build up callouses.

goddamn it...I was the asshole that learned bass....but anyway, I had kind mastered the Sax for my age at that time, anyway, so that was golden. ....you're really not going to out-compete a master woodwind player when it comes to pleasing the women, let me tell you. There are some necessary skills that just plainly overlap ;)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
OK, heads were about to roll- got this email this morning:

The item(s) noted below have been cancelled from your order.

If you have any questions about this cancellation or would like us to suggest alternative products, please call (877) 431-1774 for help.

Sincerely,
Musician's Friend Customer Service

Cancelled Items

Item #DescriptionQty
L48010000001000Fender Jimmy Page Telecaster Electric Guitar Regular Natural1.00​

I called their customer service, they were showing there were 46 left when I preordered, and they cancelled due to lack of stock. WTF! Betting some asshole randomly cancelled an order so he could fit another order in. They rectified the problem and we're back on schedule!

DOUBLE BONUS: My wife decided to visit her friend in Florida the week the guitar is supposed to ship. Good chance I can do the 'ol "What...that guitar has ALWAYS been there..." tactic :D

Reactions: highland145

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If she can go to Florida without you, why would she have a problem with you getting a new toy?