I hate windows OS viruses...

Oct 9, 1999
I had to reinstall my netbook (came with XP) again. It hadnt been used in a while. The only thing I did is visit speedtest.net because timewarner cable wanted me to check the speed.

I guess the virus downloaded from there. But the funny thing is that the virus did not show up until 20 minutes after i got off the phone and speed test.net

All browsers were closed, I saw a lovely yellow shield saying 'windows is updating', clicked it and volia instant virus / malware "antivirus xp 2012".

I managed to get it off, Kaspersky 10 USB thing did not remove it. The funny thing is that the virus infected my safe mode too. Even though I got it out with malwarebytes, lets just say the computer was still not runnign right.. so i am back to having it reinstalled.. ugh!

I hate viruses.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It's really weird that you'd have a problem with Speedtest.net of all things. As far as I can tell they don't even run 3rd party advertising. I almost have to wonder if something got through your firewall based on your description.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
When you reinstalled Windows, did you actually format the hard drive and do a clean, new Windows install, or just a repair over the existing installation? If you just did a repair, then you probably never actually completely removed the virus from the system.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Out of curiousity, why did Time Warner Cable want you to check out the site? Also, how did they make the request? As far as I know, Speedtest.net is a pretty reputable site. And this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having an issue with going to that site.

All I can think of is that a phishing e-mail was sent to you to look like it came from Time Warner with a link leading to a bogus speedtest.net site. It's just speculation though.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
speedtest.net did not give you a virus, You simply downloaded an exe and ran it thinking it was something else, which is how Antivirus xp 2012 installs.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Out of curiousity, why did Time Warner Cable want you to check out the site? Also, how did they make the request? As far as I know, Speedtest.net is a pretty reputable site. And this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having an issue with going to that site.

All I can think of is that a phishing e-mail was sent to you to look like it came from Time Warner with a link leading to a bogus speedtest.net site. It's just speculation though.

That's what I'm thinking. The whole setup sounds pretty sketchy.

Oct 9, 1999
Well I did not download or click on a link or anything as such. Just opened a browser, went to timewarner's website to try do a speed test, that didnt work because I am an 'earthlink / time warner customer' and not a timewarner customer, so she made me go to speed test.net

there was nothing executed, i didnt install anything, i didnt run anything other than firefox. I have Tomato as my VPN / Firewall to the router. The other computer is vista isnt infected.

I did do a complete wipe and reinstall. So that took care of teh virus, but the thing is potent in that it affected safemode too when I had it.

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
I agree with other people, it is probably just a coincidence that you got the virus about the same time you went to the speedtest.net website. If you are really concerned about viruses, dump XP. It is way more vulnerable to spyware and viruses than Windows 7. Night and day difference.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Well I did not download or click on a link or anything as such. Just opened a browser, went to timewarner's website to try do a speed test, that didnt work because I am an 'earthlink / time warner customer' and not a timewarner customer, so she made me go to speed test.net

there was nothing executed, i didnt install anything, i didnt run anything other than firefox. I have Tomato as my VPN / Firewall to the router. The other computer is vista isnt infected.

I did do a complete wipe and reinstall. So that took care of teh virus, but the thing is potent in that it affected safemode too when I had it.
Does the TW/Earthlink portal run 3rd party ads by chance?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
All this talk of viruses and no mention of virus/malware protection running on the suspect machine. Hrrmmmmm.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Every once in a while the people spreading this malware manage to get it on a legitimate website via an advertisement. It is installed via a drive-by download, so all you have to do is literally be looking at that particular webpage at the wrong time and you'll get it. And, even if you do get a pop-up box about installing, it has a nasty habit of accepting any action (clicking yes, no, or even just closing the pop-up) as approval to install.

A lot of the current antivirus and anti-malware software doesn't handle this particular class of malware very well, so it isn't that surprising that the OP got it even if he had security software installed.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Mar 28, 2011
So do I. That's why I ditched Windows in favor of Linux Ubuntu & Mint. Not only do they both do what I need to do, but they're both fast as hell at doing it.

The upgrade tax every 3 years, plus the yearly renewal of ESET NOD32, is costly. I had been using Ubuntu & Mint part time for 2 years, but now that I've found a printer driver that works, that was the last hurdle for me to clear.

Plus the maintenance was a drag. I'm finally getting some decent performance out of this HP Pavilion MS214 AIO (1.5GHz AMD Athlon X2 3250e). Windows is a heavy OS, no matter which one you choose to run.

And those nasty viruses, they were one PITA.

Cat