I hate those image verification things

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Don't blame the captcha, blame the fvcktard spammers that make use of these kinds of things necessary.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
I saw somewhere (probably Digg IIRC) that someone created a new captcha system that displays 12 pictures of people and you have to click on the three hot ones to pass. The one I tried was pretty obvious as to who the hot people were, but for an image processor it would be very hard.

It will be interesting to see where captchas go in the future.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BrownTown
heh, that got me thinking, those things must be programmed not to give offensive words randomly. Would be really funny if it randomly came op with the N-word of f*ck or something like that.
They're designed to leave vowels out of the places that vowels typically fit into a word to avoid just that.

For those of you using WordPress for your blog, use Akismet instead to filter out comment spam. Had worked 100% of the time for me so far.

origami

Jul 17, 2006
I don't mind them if they are clear and straightened in a readable way, but when they are all over the place, it is very frustrating.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
i understand the need for them but they are not all created equal.

some are designed much better than others.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Ticketmaster is one of the worst. Sometimes they're easy to read, but they're often impossible to decipher.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
The Best one is when FF wont work with thouse things and you got to open IE for it its a pain.

I like the ones that just ask you like "6+1=??"

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
I hate the ones that are like, say, sky blue on an ocean blue background in 8 point font so it's impossible to even understand what this retarted blue box with "Verify: " beside it is supposed to be...

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The picture thing sounds good. Getting people to join a forum is hard enough. If given a choice between clicking a picture or typing in some nonsense characters more would click the picture. Still, my main problem is the bad implementation of the current system. Bad enough to think you must have made a mistake and try again with the letters. If you're sure you clicked the right picture and the site tells you otherwise, will you try again?

Implementation.