I hate the left!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: umbrella39
I hate the centrists! Pick a side already. Thought I would add that. Agree with CAD, nice in theory but it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Actually, the centrists in America outnumber the extremists by a wide margin. In fact, voters registered as independent almost outnumber all those registered in all parties combined, this despite the fact that independent registration usually prevents one from voting in the primaries, depending on the state. And it is estimated by political experts that at least 25% of all voters are truly in play by either major party to go either direction as swing voters in every single election, depending on the issue/candidate.
It's the partisan faithful who are grossly outnumbered.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thank you Vic. I was absolutely staggered by the Washington quote, one that I can't remember ever having noticed before. I find it really impressive he could have seen so deeply into human nature and not at the same time have had the realization guiding him of the universality of human self hate.

In my defense, if I may speak to that, you will note that I put there a question mark with the intention of asking if you agree with the line I'm presenting. That means and intends to say that I am presenting a thought for your questioning which I may not agree with at all but am asking others to look at and discover if and why they may or may not.

My intention was to suggest 1. that when the tables turn vengeance will out and 2 that the previously guilty won't face their guilt. For these reasons we will have the wheel of karma spinning and spinning just as Washington warned.

If I do anything in these forums it is to waste my life warning folk that the root of their attachment to ALL externals, party being just one of them, is the absolute emotional certainty that the self is worthless and must join external good to have any worth.

We who were created in the image of God remold ourselves into that which is worthless shit because we were made to feel that way.

We externalize our fears and bring them to pass so that we can partake, vicariously, the feelings we have suppressed, our own self hate.

Parties are nothing more that externalizations of the split within the self that casts us into duality and the struggle of good against evil. We are taught that this and that natural expression of our nature will get us murdered by our parents and we suppress it. We become the party of Daddy and Mommy opposing the anything that is evil but a natural part of who we really are. The good party and the bad party are all aspects of our self.

The divide is maintained by the ego, he who watches to make sure we never remember the pain of our split. We become both the authority of Mommy and Daddy and the vengeance against them. We are the war that we create outside in the world.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: daveymark
too many are fixated on winning without maintaining focus on the real goals. if the issues truly mattered, Rudy wouldn't even be in the running

Which is why term limits should be mandatory.

You get 6 years of service. Period.

No maxing out you limit in the House and then moving to the Senate.

6 years.

You can however be elected President for 1 6 year term.

Period.

While you are in office all your assets are seized and put into a fund that is tied directly to the performance of the economy. If it goes up you get your assets back plus an amount equal to the growth the economy experienced while you were in office. If the economy flounders you get your assets back minus a percentage equal to how much the economy went down.

No lifetime retirement plan after your 6 years. You have to go back into the real world and earn it like the rest of us.

Term limits are for stupid and lazy voters.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: eskimospy
HEY GUYS I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WITH ALL THIS STUFF. WE SHOULD JUST GET TOGETHER AND FIX IT. BY 'IT', I MEAN ALL PROBLEMS.

Why didn't we think of this before?

You got anything intelligent to add or was this simply a drive by drooling?

I'm sorry, I don't think that it is possible to add anything intelligent to this thread. Although I do like the term "drive by drooling". That's pretty catchy.

It's absolutely retarded that someone would attack the premise of this thread. I take it you would like more partisanship?

Yes.

Partisanship isn't a bad thing. You might have a problem with our system of government as parties don't exactly represent the views of their average voter on all issues (more like a plurality of issues), but that doesn't mean that people should stop fighting for what they believe in just for the sake of some nebulous idea that compromise is somehow inherantly good.

Our whole system is fundamentally an adversarial one, and its done like that on purpose, based on the premise that everyone will fight tooth and nail for what they want. The idea that "meeting in the middle" is somehow a better solution intrinsically then what either the right or left is promoting is simply a silly idea, and such mealy mouthed compromises are usually so weak as to be pointless. Not to mention that anything that's easy to compromise on has already long ago been compromised on. There's a reason why throughout all the different facets of what the government deals with that the same few issues pop up over and over... it's because they are the contentious ones.

I'd love a different system of government where each faction could promote its ideas more effectively rather then a bipolar one, but I'd take partisanship any day over a pathetic and weak middle ground.

So no, let's not meet in the middle... let's fight it out and see who wins. The best way to look out for the rights of everyone is to not give them over to someone else in the spirit of compromise.