I hate Klipsch more then ATOT hates BOSE.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ebaycj
"computer speakers" are for pussies. Get yourself a decent reciever and some decent speakers, and it will BLOW AWAY any set of "computer speakers".

:roll: I have heard this advice many many times and always regarded it as stupid for most people. I have a pretty respectable home theater system, and am reasonably knowledgeable about audio equipment and setup, but from a packaging standpoint I find the bulk and inconvenience of using a receiver and passive speakers unpalatable in an office context. I'm not looking to turn my computer into my primary listening system, and I think 95/100 people are in the same boat.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ebaycj
"computer speakers" are for pussies. Get yourself a decent reciever and some decent speakers, and it will BLOW AWAY any set of "computer speakers".

Mostly true, but some computer speakers are worthy of listening to. Most notably Klipsch ProMedias, Creative Gigaworks (rebadged Cambridge) and Swans.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
i had the original 4.1 set... the volume pot would always crackle.. even the new one they sent me (i had to pay shipping one way). very annoying. they sounded decent, but after a while, the horns really were overpowering for music. and since I rarely played games w/ them (I had to turn them up too loud to hear footsteps) I got rid of them.

I'd go back to the 2.1's since I listen to music only for the most part, but they were too expensive at the time to try again.

If your volume pot crackles, that is normal/happens.

Just rapidly rotate the volume from 0 to full hard and rapidly with the system off. It will remove the oxidization.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: foghorn67
Originally posted by: So
I am so mad I can't type. Another blown amp victim. yay.
Screw Klipsch. 90 bucks to fix it and have it blow again? no thanks.

Maybe more moderate volume levels would be more conductive to you not going deaf anyway.

stop assuming. I never had these go past 40.
Even at moderate levels, it's too loud.

What the hell are you smoking? There's nothing better than blasting kickass music at 110db with 500W of glorious surround sound.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The Ultras suck when you're in college...or at least moving them in and out every year does.

If it didn't cost like $50 to ship them (or if I thought I could get a good price), I'd probably try to sell them...

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: A5
The Ultras suck when you're in college...or at least moving them in and out every year does.

If it didn't cost like $50 to ship them (or if I thought I could get a good price), I'd probably try to sell them...

I remember the good old days of moving just a set of computer speakers twice a year. Now just my center weighs about the same as most computer speaker sets :(

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
"Pro Media" computer speakers are shameful to have the Klipsch logo on them. Offshore chinese stuff was never in Paul's dreams but is further proof that the almighty dollar is king. :disgust:

Find a pair of Heresey's or Chorus II's if you have the room. A pair of La Scala's or Klipschorns will play unbearingly loud on a cheap-ass Kraco 8 track with 4 watts per channel at 8 ohms that your parents had in their '73 Chevelle. ;)

104 dB 1W/1M goes a long ways. :D

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

I remember the good old days of moving just a set of computer speakers twice a year. Now just my center weighs about the same as most computer speaker sets :(

Meh, I'm moving away from having a center channel speaker. Too distracting unless I can put it behind the screen. Good imaging FTW!

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: iRONic
I had my original Klipsch 4.1 system for almost four years, then my amp blew as well. Klipsch agreed to repair it at no charge other than shipping. I also received a new Promedia Ultra 5.1 system shipped back to me. I used the ampless subwoofer, two of the 5.1's and two of the 4.1's for my HT audio. A used Klipsch Promedia 5.1 center speaker off ebay completed that setup. HT front pic.

My wife's Klipsch 2.1 set rocks her PC.

My Klipsch Heresy II's are twenty years old and still rockin' strong. Horn-loaded speakers FTW!

Why the blacking out of the image on your tv?

Koing

Goat pr0n.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07

Meh, I'm moving away from having a center channel speaker. Too distracting unless I can put it behind the screen. Good imaging FTW!

Yes as long as you have a proper downmix to stereo the dialogue will be anchored not just to the center of the screen but to the position the person *is* on the screen. And with just a left and right channel! Off screen sounds will extend well beyond the physical boundries set by each speaker too.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

Yes as long as you have a proper downmix to stereo the dialogue will be anchored not just to the center of the screen but to the position the person *is* on the screen. And with just a left and right channel! Off screen sounds will extend well beyond the physical boundries set by each speaker too.

Proper speaker positioning for the win? I swear, just a few minutes with the overwhelming majority of home theater systems out there not professionally installed can yield insane benefits.

And when are you going to marry me?

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Darien
Another? Ouch.

Promedia 5.1 Ultra owner here. No big problems so far *knocks on wood*

ditto

but the quality is crap now compared to my headphones so if I want to blast music with a offer my speakers 98% head phones on.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

I've had as many as 8 people watching something at one time, so having a center is pretty necessary.

Have you guys ever done dual centers (above/below screen)? I've seen pictures of a few HT setups like that, but I imagine it might do more harm than good.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: yosuke188
Get the Swan M200, great sound quality.

I have to look this up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102
http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=3

thanks for the links!:heart:
They look really nice too. I got to thinking...I really haven't had space for proper surround in a while. The two rear sats are really random in placement.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: yosuke188
Get the Swan M200, great sound quality.

I have to look this up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102
http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=3

thanks for the links!:heart:
They look really nice too. I got to thinking...I really haven't had space for proper surround in a while. The two rear sats are really random in placement.

Be aware that these are pretty substantial for size, probably bigger than you're thinking. They will definately take up a lot of desk space if that's where you're going to end up putting them.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
holy crap. that might break my ikea desk.

Yeah, they're pretty much like self powered bookshelf speakers... or monitor... or whatever you want to call them.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
OP still hasn't fixed the thread title... YOU ROCK! DAMN THE MAN!!!

Go stick your finger in your ear. It will probably smells like ass instead of ear cheese, because you are a butthead.
Have fun drinking alone in front the computer!