I hate earthlink, part two.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
This was just great. Not only did earthlink charge me $600 ($450 was refunded) when they were unable to move my DSL from one address to another, apparently they AUTOMATICALLY reverted my account to dialup status, and started billing me for that.

And in trying to get this resolved, this was my *30 minute* adventure online. (I cut off the first part, I mistakenly thought they had overbilled me for my dad's account)

flot: apparently the account I was billed on was xxxxx@earthlink.net
flot: it was a $21.95 charge to the card ending in xxxx
flot: (Sorry for the confusion; xxxx@earthlink.net is an account that should have been terminated... I thought I was being billed on yyyy@earthlink.net)
Parvateesan N.: I see that we have xxxx for xxxxxx@earthlink.net.
flot: whew
flot: that was my DSL account. I tried to move and have it relocated, and was unsuccessful after 4 tries.
flot: In the meantime earthlink billed me $600 in DSL disconnection fees, but recredited me $450 of them
Parvateesan N.: To best assist you, you need to speak with a BroadBand Customer Service Representative. Please standby while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

MasihuddinM' Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat. How can I help you today?
MasihuddinM: Hello, I see you've already been chatting. Please give me a moment so I can read the previous chat and pick up where you left off.
flot: Hi, do you have access to the chat history or should I start from scratch? (I was "transferred" to you)..
flot: ah ok, thanks
flot: start in the middle. :) The account in question is yyyy@earthlink.net, it was my mistake - I thought I was being billed on xxxx@earthlink.net
MasihuddinM: Kindly hold on, while I review my records.
flot: thanks
MasihuddinM: It will take 10 more minutes, please be online.
flot: wow, okay....
MasihuddinM: The fees refers to Early Termination.
flot: I was charged $149 for early termination
flot: (a number of times, actually)
flot: but where did the $21.95 come from?!
MasihuddinM: That charge is for June 29 - July 28. As your Bill Plan is EarthLink Unlimited.
flot: ... I don't even own a modem
flot: did my account automatically switch to that or something?!?
MasihuddinM: I see that the Early Termination Fees was charged in error and I will process a refund to your account.
MasihuddinM: You will receive an email of confirmation once it is processed.
flot: great, thanks. This account should be completely closed, right?
MasihuddinM: Your Bill Plan is automatically set up to Dial up now.
flot: well I definitely don't want that
flot: I assumed that getting charged a $150 fee for termination pretty much meant my account was terminated
MasihuddinM: At this time, EarthLink does not accept cancellation requests via email/live chat. To cancel your service you must call 800-719-4660, 6 a.m. to 3 a.m. ET, Monday to Friday, and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, Saturday and Sunday or send registered or certified mail, return receipt requested to EarthLink Inc.; 1375 Peachtree Street, Level A Atlanta, GA 30309. Accounts are set to close at the end of the current cycle. We don't prorate charges. #PFR#/DUC/C-S/wecannotcancel
flot: ok, thanks for your help.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
why do you bother calling them ?

just dispute it with your CC and have a conference call.

problem resolved with a snap of a finger.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
i'm getting adelphia cable installed tomorrow.

buh-bye earthlink!!

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I actually went back to AOL because of Earthlink's incompetant customer service. AOL < for dial up on the Lappy