I had "Assyrian" food on saturday night.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Originally posted by: dtyn
So you ate Babylonian food? How about Persian food? Considering Babylonia destroyed the Assyrians in c. 626 BCE, then the Persians destroyed the Babylonians in c. 538 BCE, I'd say it's close to impossible to have "Assyrian Food." Not to mention that early civilizations, such as the Assyrians, did not have culturally specific foods. They didn't have the time to create them. They ate what everyone else in the, now Middle East, ate.

Read my previous post about this. She said Persian food is different.

How can it be different from something that never had time to develop into existence? I thought people learned about this stuff in Survey courses.

From what i've seen and read, the Assyrian culture is alive and living throughout the world. Just google "assyria" and you will see.

My point is that true Assyrian culture was wiped out by the Babylonians, so what you had then was a mix of Babylonian culture and Assyrian culture. Then the Persians came along and wiped out the Babylonians. The only people who kept their true identity during this time was the Hebrews. People who claim to be direct decendants of the Assyrians are really interbred between many different cultures. There is no true Assyrian culture present today, no matter how many people want to believe it.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
So you ate Babylonian food? How about Persian food? Considering Babylonia destroyed the Assyrians in c. 626 BCE, then the Persians destroyed the Babylonians in c. 538 BCE, I'd say it's close to impossible to have "Assyrian Food." Not to mention that early civilizations, such as the Assyrians, did not have culturally specific foods. They didn't have the time to create them. They ate what everyone else in the, now Middle East, ate.

How can it be different from something that never had time to develop into existence? I thought people learned about this stuff in Survey courses.

That is also like saying American Food does not exist, since we have only been a country for 200 some years. So..American food is the same as English, French, German, Italian, Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean(etc etc etc) food?

I've never heard of any food, sans fast food, referred to as American food. America is a mix of many cultures, each bringing their own food, so I don't see how we can have a distinct food.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

From what i've seen and read, the Assyrian culture is alive and living throughout the world. Just google "assyria" and you will see.

My point is that true Assyrian culture was wiped out by the Babylonians, so what you had then was a mix of Babylonian culture and Assyrian culture. Then the Persians came along and wiped out the Babylonians. The only people who kept their true identity during this time was the Hebrews. People who claim to be direct decendants of the Assyrians are really interbred between many different cultures. There is no true Assyrian culture present today, no matter how many people want to believe it.

But much of the culture (ie recipes, songs, art, music, etc...) is past through the generations and kept pure. I doubt there are many cultures today that are "pure" like you describe them.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

But much of the culture (ie recipes, songs, art, music, etc...) is past through the generations and kept pure. I doubt there are many cultures today that are "pure" like you describe them.

Ok, obviously you still don't understand. I guess I'm assuming to much. The Babylonian civilization that rebirthed and destroyed the Assyrian nation did not want other civilization cultures mixing with their own, so they did the best they could to wipe out all traces. In addition, civilizations of Mesopotamia in the era when Assyria was destroyed did not have time in their militaristic/agricultural lives to create distinct foods. Civilizations formed because of a need to survive, that's why Mesopotamia was the first area to house civilization. The Mesopotamian civilization had to worry about survival more than anything. I don't want this to turn into my Euro Civ I class, as I don't feel like teaching again today, but you are allowed to believe what you will.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

Ok, obviously you still don't understand. I guess I'm assuming to much. The Babylonian civilization that rebirthed and destroyed the Assyrian nation did not want other civilization cultures mixing with their own, so they did the best they could to wipe out all traces. In addition, civilizations of Mesopotamia in the era when Assyria was destroyed did not have time in their militaristic/agricultural lives to create distinct foods. Civilizations formed because of a need to survive, that's why Mesopotamia was the first area to house civilization. The Mesopotamian civilization had to worry about survival more than anything. I don't want this to turn into my Euro Civ I class, as I don't feel like teaching again today, but you are allowed to believe what you will.

you might want to add this to your "class": there's no such thing as the "Mesopotamian civilization". Mesopotamia was the name given by the Greeks to the area the Sumerians, Akkad, Babylonians, and Assyrians inhabited.

edit: oh and mesopotamia is in asia, not europe btw.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree with it. Just because a culture is influenced by other cultures (ie Assyrians influenced by persians, babylonians, and armenians) does not mean it is no longer a culture.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Hammer

you might want to add this to your "class": there's no such thing as the "Mesopotamian civilization". Mesopotamia was the name given by the Greeks to the area the Sumerians, Akkad, Babylonians, and Assyrians inhabited.

Cute. I'm giving a reference to the area that everyone would understand. The civilizations that formed in that area are commonly known as the civilizations of Mesopotamia, which happens to be what I said. Oh, and smartass, we cover Mesopotamia in the Euro Civ I class, you want to dispute that take it up the Dean of Academics at Tennessee Tech. Please, teach me some more history. :)

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

Cute. I'm giving a reference to the area that everyone would understand. The civilizations that formed in that area are commonly known as the civilizations of Mesopotamia, which happens to be what I said. Oh, and smartass, we cover Mesopotamia in the Euro Civ I class, you want to dispute that take it up the Dean of Academics at Tennessee Tech. Please, teach me some more history. :)

ooooooh Tennessee Tech! the Harvard of the South!
rolleye.gif

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

rolleye.gif

Oh yes. You have nothing of value to say, so you must insult where I'm currently enrolled/TAing. That really moves the discussion forward.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

rolleye.gif

hahaha :)