I got yelled at by a bum

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money, i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though.

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him.

"You little bastard, all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans lined up to do the same job for $5!

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I especially like the ones that come into the fast food places when you're eating and they beg for money to buy food. You offer them to buy them a meal and they turn it down.

WTF!?

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money, i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though.

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for sucking my **** or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him.

"You little bastard, all i want is some change. I don't have the desire to be sucking peoples ****s for a measly $20!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans lined up to do the same job for $5!

/fixed

Story makes sense now.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I learned a long time ago, never talk to beggars. I don't even acknowledge they exist. They will climb right in your stuff at any comment you make that doesn't amount to "Here you are, I only have $150 on me right now, but I can get some more if you need it because I know you deserve it."

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Reminds me of the bum who hangs outside of Yankee stadium. I grabbed a picture of him while he posed for the camera.

He ain't kiddin'

It might actually be funny if the 30 bums from the walk from the parking garages to the stadiums didn't have the same thing written on their sign.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jdoggg12

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him.

"You little bastard, all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

No need to be an @sshole about it, just because he might have been. You were doing great until you took it personally. ;)

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
American bums are spoiled and have become real snobs. To get genuine thankful bums you have to go to some Asian countries.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
I had a bum ask me if I drove to the campus (as opposed to taking a train). I always take the train so I told him no, sorry. He then asked me for a dollar, and I was in a really good mood, so I gave it to him. He then proceeding to tell me he was asking me because if I did he would ask me to take him to the other side of town so he could get to his wife who is lost. He also followed me to the train station to make sure I wasn't lying. Just as I was getting to the station he looked at me and was like "look man, I need more money". I looked at him like wtf? "You NEED more money?" He said that he needed money for his "boys" or something. I just looked at him like "Do you really think i'm that stupid?" and continued past the station turnstiles...

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to get cursed out by transients all the time in places like NYC, Chicago, Cleveland and downtown Atlanta. I used to walk to work in Atlanta, and everyday the same transient would curse me.

The worst was when a guy approached me while picking up a to-go order at Carrabbas. He first asked me questions about my car, told me he liked it, etc. Then he gave me the typical, "I need a bus ticket" nonsense and asked for $20. I told him no, and he ran around the parking lot yelling at other customers saying, "See that man over there? He buys a car like that and can't even help another man out." I saw that same man a few months later in another parking lot pulling the same crap.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Reminds me of the bum who hangs outside of Yankee stadium. I grabbed a picture of him while he posed for the camera.

He ain't kiddin'

LMAO thats about the best hand writing I've seen on one of those signs. The funny thing is if I see him I might buy him a beer. Just because he made me laugh:laugh:

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
The wife and I were in New Orleans (pre-Katrina) and there were quite a few transient teenagers, particularly in Jackson Square.

One asked us for some change while were entering a liquor store "so I can buy a gun and make some REAL money" :thumbsup:

We gave her a couple of bucks just because she was entertaining and made us chuckle.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
The scam around here has been at gas stations.

"Hey man, I'm outta gas and I'm trying to get to *insert urgent appointment here*. $5 is all I need."

I actually fell for this the first time because the guy looked legit. Then he proceeds to go over to his car, get in and drive away without putting any gas in. WTF!

Another one that I didn't fall for, this dude was hanging out in the parking lot of a diner right off the interstate right before the bridge with a toll on it. "Hey, I need to get across the bridge, can you spare a couple bucks for toll money?" I didn't fall for that one because the toll on the bridge is only $1. He didn't need a "couple" of bucks for toll money, the loser. I saw him doing a fast walk right towards me and my girlfriend and I knew what he was up to so I told her to get her ass in the car and told him "I've heard that scam before. No way."

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
i was putting air in my tires.
woman approaches me for money needs gas money.
i give her $1.
'you dont have anymore? i need gas...'
'if you dont want the dollar give it back to me'
she walks off.
i shoulda snatched that shit out of her hand, right after she questioned me.

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
I never give money away to strangers. Ever.

I tell them I'll hit that McDonalds at the corner if they're hungry, and they usually decline. Freaking alcoholics.